News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stuck caliper and chain rub block advice

Started by 97tiger885, September 17, 2013, 12:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

Here is my chain rub block.  I have put in a new one.  Did I replace it too soon, too late or just in time?

Having pulled  the pads from the rear, here is what I found.

The inner pad is totally gone and the outer pad is fine.  Turns out the slide(?) Is stuck.  The slide piston in the center is fine but the outer piston is frozen. 

Can and should I remove this post with an allen key?  Should I pound on the slide until it releases?

One of the pistons from the rear has a small nick.  You can see it at the end of the pen.  Is this piston still good?  Should I use a fine abrasive on that spot?  Is it done?

Mustang

the whole bracket/slide should just pull right out / it's not "connected" to anything ..........when you get it out , grease the shit out of it .

if the piston doesn't leak the nick is fine, if it leaks well I guess you need a new one .

97tiger885

Quote from: Mustang on September 17, 2013, 02:20:26 AM
the whole bracket/slide should just pull right out / it's not "connected" to anything ..........when you get it out , grease the shit out of it .

if the piston doesn't leak the nick is fine, if it leaks well I guess you need a new one .

Pound and pry the bracket/shell I shall.

So, nicks are only an issue because they can lead to leaks thru the seal.  Got it.

Thanks much.

rybes

the middle pin that goes in the rubber boot is where i had all my problems with the rear caliper. take out the rubber boot and get a round file or sand paper in the bit where the boot come from and make sure its free from any corrosion. when ya done put a small smear of copper grease in there before ya put the boot back in. then all should be well  :thumbsup
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

97tiger885

The post is out.  Found out that Trident uses same rear caliper and axle.  Ordered both used from ebay.

Here are the tools I used.

The key was removing the bracket from the post, placing washers and screwing the nut back on.  I then cranked on the nut until I got the post to spin.  Of course, I cant get the nut off, but one problem at a time.

After this, I placed the caliper in my vise and used a drift to pound on the washers to drive the post out. 

threepot

Even the 'Mighty' Super3 uses that caliper,as do all the early t3/4s. That piston looks ok to me. I've got marks all over mine..the result of 'last resort' maintenance! :icon_wink: Just polish them up with fine abrasive paper. Lube it and the seal with dot4,and knock it back in. If the seal looks ok,it probably is. Never had to change one.
95 Super111
96 Tiger