News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cold start issue getting worse

Started by benebob, October 03, 2013, 11:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

yes sir, also checked all the connectors I could reach without removing body work and nothing.  It does live in the great outdoors and we just had 7 inches or so of rain on Thurs/Friday.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

The best way to get the gas out is to turn it upside down.  I had about 2 pints of fuel left in mine when I did it and when I checked that contained about 1/4 pint of water.  I knew it was there because I saw some go in when I filled up in the rain.  I was surprised how much there was though.  And it ran as rough as f**k for 40 miles when it first happened.  Maybe I need to drain my tank and have a look.  The water would explain the rough running.

The lights issue  - I think you should check your battery is getting a proper charge.  Put a volt meter on it and see what it's doing.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

benebob

Sadlyl the bike ran fine yesterday so I don't have a clue what the issue was, unless it isn't a tiger but a camel who loves hump day.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

Have you filled up in the meantime?  Even if not, if you've skimmed the water off the bottom of the tank it'll be getting good fuel again.  I found that when I dumped about an eggcupful in mine when filling up in the rain.  It took some miles to take up the water and then all was well again.  But I still had water in the tank, just it was below the pickup level.

The main cause was a blocked filler cap drain.  I realised it was blocked when the water that had built up under the cap ended up in the tank instead of draining away.  Clearing it took a bit of time but was worth doing.  I preach at everyone to clear theirs regularly but omit to do the same myself  :icon_redface:

If I find water in mine next time I take it off I will hope that it sorts some of my issues too.....  :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

benebob

No, I'm still trying to run off what's in  there.  Didn't get more than 2/3rds out.  I road tonight and gave the throttle all she had thru the first two the coasted a bit after shifting up to 4th.  When I hit the throttle again it ran poorly and bogged down before clearing its throat.  Is the cap seal replaceable? Mine is an outside bike so if it rains faster than the drain will take even unclogged it wold take on water.
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

The drain will cope if it's clear, but often as not they are blocked.  A long bit of wire and a lot of poking will clear it.  Be prepared for skanky water to come out at the bottom, so don't go near with your mouth.  Take the rubber hose off the spigot so you can see when it goes and if needed poke it from both ends.

benebob

Blew it out with compressed air, which was all that came out so she was clear.
13 Tiger 800

benebob

Well rode fine this morning to the gym and back then started acting up later in the day today.   Stopped and filled up when it started acting up as I was running on fumes trying to get a fresh tank.  Got worse on the ride home, have let it run for a good 20 minutes now and it stalls, won't restart, pops and farts then occasionally runs just fine.  Lights are flickering still a bit, battery is over 13 volts, when running at an idle it is 13.6, drops a bit when you give it gas but that could just be the cheap volt meter I'm using.  Never goes below 13.2 but shouldn't that be up around 14ish at 3 grand?  Where is the stator wires and rectifire wires at on this thihg.  I still haven't bought a book, just using the 885i book still. 

Anybody want a nice low miles 06?  Beyond frustrated now and getting pissed.  Might just be the type who should stick with the old tech stuff that you can work on in your garage.
13 Tiger 800

NortonCharlie

Is your vent tube open and working ?  When it starts acting up just open the gas cap and see if it is holding a vacuum. 
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

benebob

13 Tiger 800

Chris Canning

Strip the bike and start from scratch,tank off change the fuel filter,undo all the connectors scrape e'm clean and regrease,new plugs airfilter and make sure everything is clean and tidy and how it should be and then try again,this thing about been serviced by a.n.other it's yourself or a Triumph dealer you are happy with.

Bixxer Bob

:iagree

And balance the throttle bodies and blow in a fresh map.

benebob

I was kinda hoping for something other than throwing parts at it as non of that makes sense as it is an intermitent issue, besides, with 8k on the odo it is quite a waste to put plugs and an airfilter on it isn't it.

Ditto with the throttle bodies and map as it goes from running perfect to horrible and then back.
13 Tiger 800

metalguru

OK then Benebob,
There has been a lot of advice and the usual culprits to try.
I have just read through all the posts again and I can't seem to find anything that's been advised, being used.
Have yourself or anyone else tried any of the diagnostics on the motorcycle?
To progress any more we do need info on anything found amiss when investigated.
Have you used TuneEcu, if you have what are the voltages for all the sensors? In particular the TPS.
Do you know if the map is corrupt, yes it does happen.
Has the battery gone flat on the bike?
Has the tank been removed to check the basics, if in any doubt renew the IACV pipes, although the miles are low they are getting old, are the throttle bodies EXACTLY in balance.
For a resumption of normal performance, the basics HAVE to be correct and the process of elimination conducted.

Only trying to help!!
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

benebob

Yes as I stated early on, Tune ECU shows nothing out of the norm of specs, and no codes. TPS is reading as it should.  Map was already replaced as that was an easy thing to do with it hooked up.  Battery was replaced with the known good one from the 885i that has spent time since the accident every couple weeks on a tender. 

Tank has not been removed as I said I'm still  not physically capable of doing it myself and without good logical reasoning on something to look at I'm not gonna call in a favor to remove it for an exploritory session that may or may not do anything.  Most all that has been suggested I can't really see being intermittent and most all seems that it would throw a code or show up on the tune ecu.  Of course I could be wrong but most suggestions seem like a stab in the dark to this point.  I'd hate to throw $1000 in parts at something to still not have a solution, esp. on a bike that shouldn't need most of that stuff yet.  I do appriciate all the help thus far, just trying to decifer things before tearing into something that I'm really not quite capable of just yet.  Hermy's is quite a hike and I wouldn't trust my local new dealer as they just got Triumph over the summer so they're not really experienced just yet.

Still trying to find out where the rectifier and stator connector is as I haven't picked up a 955i manual yet and the 885i had the wonderful external alternator.
13 Tiger 800