News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer filler cap

Started by akendall1966, October 13, 2013, 07:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akendall1966

Bit of paint flaking on mine, if you got a mint one I'd be interested.
UK preferred.
----AK-----

Bixxer Bob

Can't recall what you filler looks like AK,  but if it's painted silver, and you can't get one, I found when I had my Trident and was doing the front brake discs,  Hammerite smooth silver is an exact match.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

akendall1966

Silver ring and black cap, refurb' is an option. Not sure how tricky getting it apart will be.
----AK-----

Sin_Tiger

Lots of little springs and nylon washers and seals, take your time. Go on ask me how I know  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

akendall1966

Hi Sin,

At least your trail blazing this disassembly hints at it not being a short cut to spending £107 on a new one then?

:-)
----AK-----

Sin_Tiger

Oh it's doable, just trying to save you some time on your hands and knees  :icon_lol:

The issue I did not resolve was removing the hinge pin / pins. I have not figured out if it's a one piece pin, tried knocking through to no avail, or it's actually two pins and I'll need to pull them out.

I think you can probably make a reasonable job of painting without taking the pin out with a bit of care.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

I learned from an old sage as a boy, when taking apart a light switch on my little Honda, do it inside a plastic bag, because at least then you'll have all the bits when it goes off.  Doesn't help with working out where they go of course, but that's what made us engineers :hat10
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

akendall1966

Well its been refurbed, not a great pic phone not too good close up. But I give it about 7 out of 10, but a bit tidier than it was.

Sin - hinge pins are pushed in from each side into blind holes in the cap, so you gotta pull them out. They are 3mm roll pins and clean out with brake cleaner and epoxied some rod in the center and was able to extract. :thumbsup

Disassembly of the rest is OK, there is a tiny ball & spring that forms the dentent of the little lock cover flap. This is a pig to fit back as nothing locates the spring and it will ping off in a blink of an eye.

Other than that painted parts soaked in paint stripper for 48 hours and a bit of scrubbing get you to bare metal ready to refinish

Probably should move this thread elsewhere now, guess it might help someone going down the same route.  :qgaraduate
----AK-----

rf9rider

Tidy job mate!

I was going to do mine, but fitted an after market billet cap instead........... :icon_lol:

Bixxer Bob

Sin_Tiger

:thumbsup nice job mate  :notworthy

Yup, a new thread with a couple more photo's would be a very good addition to the How to list.