News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil loss

Started by 97tiger885, October 17, 2013, 09:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

I am losing oil somewhere, a pint every 400 miles.  There is no huge puddle under the mc.  There is no obvious leak with the motor running.  The level seems to drop to the min mark on the dipstick and stabilize.  There is a small drop under the sprocket cover after refilling, riding and sitting overnight.  I have removed the sprocket cover.  The gasket did not survive.  There was a lot of oil/ grease/dirt on the lower rear of the sprocket cover.   The sprocket cover is intact.

What is the likely cause...cover gasket failure, clutch rod seal failure, gear box shifter seal failure,...?  I have a gasket on the way.  Should I order a clutch rod seal while I have the case open?

Advice appreciated.

Geoff W

If you have the sprocket cover off, you may as well replace the gasket, as well as the clutch and gear change seal. They are cheap and easily done. As ever Mustang has a very good "How to " thread on here.

It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

97tiger885

Quote from: Geoff W on October 17, 2013, 10:31:06 PM
If you have the sprocket cover off, you may as well replace the gasket, as well as the clutch and gear change seal. They are cheap and easily done. As ever Mustang has a very good "How to " thread on here.

Thanks for the heads up.  Now, it is waiting for delivery.