News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

ignition pick up coil

Started by Geoff W, October 22, 2013, 07:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff W

With metronome like consistency my second pick up coil failed at just over 65k miles. The first one went at about 30k I think, so if your steamer is approaching 30k miles on the original coil, replace it. For in the full expression of Sod's Law it will fail , as mine did first time in the outside lane of a very busy Dutch motorway which was devoid of a hard shoulder, and second time on a very full roundabout above the A19 in rush-hour.
I decided to spend £10 more on the PVL coil rather than the original Gill. The PVL is slightly larger and has two separate heat resistant leads rather than the single one of the Gill model. It fits with no trouble at all. Time will tell if it lasts longer than the Gill original. It certainly looks stronger.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Sin_Tiger

At least it wasn't in the middle of Hull  :icon_rolleyes:

What's the deal on supplier and cost? PVL Part no. ?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Geoff W

Ah the deep pleasure of riding the Hull Circular Road, a much underestimated biking route in my humble opinion, most scenic with some interesting pubs.
The PVL coil came from Sprint Manufacturing, who are now on the inter-web thing as Triumphparts.gbr.cc. Cost was £59.00 including the gasket. Delivered within 36 hours of order. it is actually £20.00 more than the Gill original , so it had better last longer. It certainly looks a more robust part.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

London_Phil