News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coolant temp gauge

Started by mcilvenny, March 10, 2005, 02:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcilvenny

When riding the tempriture gauge hardly moves ( it is working ). I've changed the coolant ( proper 50/50 mixture ) fitted new sensor on engine block and changed the thermostat.

Do all Tigers run like this or do I have a fault ???
EeeZeee Tiger

\"96\" Steamer

BP_LONDON

my guage usually moves about 2-3mm above that first green marker and stays there....

BR

My '98 Steamer also tends to indicate on the low side for normal running.  When I slow down or get in to stop-N-go traffic, the needle will creep up before the fan kicks on as expected.  My bike is not running too cool nor is the thermostat stuck but I think it's just a case of Triumph's poor calibration of the gauge/sending unit.  Mine had been a bit intermittent but I found the wire connection at the sending unit on the left side of the head a bit loose.  Make sure yours fits tight!  Btw, I just did a coolant change and I removed the radiator and cleaned all the bugs and dirt out of it but I don't expect that to change how the gauge reads.

Brendan

'98 BRG

knarf

Only seems to work in high summer when your getting all toasty in traffic.
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

Mark

Riding here in Western Australia this past summer (temps up to 42 C) the temp gauge only registered in the middle during city/metro riding (stop & go} then the fan 'kicked in, otherwise the needle stayed just a 'tad' above the green.

However, just recently when I shut down the bike the coolent spews out of the overflow and sets a new level of below the MIN mark, I topped up with the ratio of 70/30 mix (coolent/water, for Oz conditions) and it did it again. Riding around the temp gauge is still registering just above the green. Any idea's?

Mark
Alcohol & Explosives the key to a happy relationship.

BR

Mark,

Assuming no other issues like a leaking head gasket, I'd say check or simply replace your radiator cap.  The cap is what controls the bleed off of pressure to the overflow tank (cap is rated for a certain pressure) and they do fail occasionally or "weaken" so-to-speak to allow coolant to pass by at a pressure below the cap's stated rating.

Brendan

'98 BRG Tiger

San Jose, CA USA

Mark

G'dsy BR, thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go.

Cheers

Mark
Alcohol & Explosives the key to a happy relationship.

WildeKurt

My gage will almost hit the red mark on hot summer days in stop and go before the fan comes on.  With the fan on, the needle head's south.

Kurt

tigerjohn

This time of year mine doesn't move much above rest, except in heavy traffic when the needle moves about half way. It'll probably get a bit more frisky in the late spring/summer..... just like its owner! :lol: