News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2004 955i Tiger engine failure while riding

Started by bill4295, November 04, 2013, 10:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill4295

I am a recent owner of a low mileage (7K) 955i with less than 500 miles seat time since purchase from original owner.  Very
clean and well maintained, no known issues at time of purchase (Spring 2013).  I have 40 years motorcycle background and am a competent mechanic, though this is my first "modern" bike, i.e. ECM, fuel injection, etc.

Riding last week at freeway speeds and engine shut down with no other symptoms.  All electrics functional, starter turns engine normally, no blown fuses, no overheat, good oil level.

I can hear the fuel pump energize normally to pressurize the system when I turn the key on, but no start or attempt to fire. 

There is no dealer convenient to me so a scan will not be easy.  I pulled the thank and checked all visible components, nothing disconnected, etc.  I have the service manual but frankly cannot find a good starting point.

Is there a troubleshooting process or likely culprit someone with more experience can recommend.

Thanks in advance for any reply. - Jim

Mustang

See if you have spark.  I would start with the kickstand switch. Jump the two wires and see if it will start

Dutch

Hi Jim,

Welcome on tigertriple. Several people here with great knowledge of the big cat.

Since you seem to have more experience with classic bikes, the "start with kickstand" might need some translation   :icon_wink: I know I had to read it twice   :hat10   (bike has an electric starter, how the heck start the bike with the kickstand?)

Riding with the sidestand out is dangerous. So most bikes cut down when the stand is down, gear selected and you let the clutch out. This switch is sometimes faulty, switching off the engine when the stand is up. Another cause can be the spring that holds the stand up. When weak the stands flaps down when hitting a bigger bump and engine cuts out.

Sorry if it's a very open door ...   :occasion14

Chris Canning

Quote from: Mustang on November 04, 2013, 11:07:54 PM
See if you have spark.  I would start with the kickstand switch. Jump the two wires and see if it will start

I have to say when I first saw the post thought that's rare for an engine to go bang!!,obviously that's not the right headline,you'll have to start with the above,but the first thing that struck me old bike and not many miles so it's sure done a lot of standing around,it needs stripping and all the connectors need pulling apart and cleaning it could be absolutely anything,I'd change the fuel filter as well because you can bet your life it hasn't been done.

Oh and if it's an 04 female fuel connectors haven't broken have they??