News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Leaking Plastic tank- Repaired permanently!

Started by Patman1200, November 15, 2013, 12:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patman1200

It's been a long time since I have been on here.

My 2001 955i has had a leaking tank for a fair while. It was only noticeable by the petrol smell after filling up until the fuel level dropped to about 1/2 a tank.

I finally removed the tank and found that it had gone porous at the top of the hump right underneath the filler cap.

After mulling over a load of suggestions all over the interwebby I decided to try something I know will work.
So I sanded down a large area around the porous leak to remove any dirt and paint.
I smothered the entire area with Hylomar oil and fuel resistant gasket. I ringed with with a smothering of Silkaflex boat and caravan sealant and stuck a plate of 2mm aluminium over the top.

5 months later it is still sealed.
Not brilliant if it is on a visible area of the tank, but it works.
2001 Tiger 955i - Stock
1998 Bandit 1200 - Holeshot Stage 1 kit
2000 TTR 250 - Mud machine
1996 Bandit 400 vv - Screamer

Ironhorse

That's pretty aggressive, eh?

I have repaired mine with marinetex. It has 2 hard years of D/S and is holding very well. Mine was actually a repair of the nutserts.