News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

30A Fuse Repair.

Started by metalguru, November 22, 2013, 12:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalguru

Over the years there have been many modifications to the 30A main fuse to the side of the battery box.
I have tried a few different ways of stopping the fuse from melting and not had much success, the fuse body still melted and eventually complete electrical failure not through the fuse burning out but the plastic of the fuse melted into the fuse holder.
I tried the larger 80A fuse holder and the fuse still overheated.
The theory I came up with was the contact area of the fuse legs to the fuse holder is very small, and with a loading of all the bikes running circuits used the current trying to get through this small contact area was excessive.
Thinking back on my experience in electrical circuits, a holder/connections to handle a constant high current flow could be the next thing to try.

I found this holder and fuses on the net, they are called MIDI fuses as opposed to MINI fuses as the bike uses as std.

These are the fuses. Used in conjunction with the correct connectors have proved to be the way to go.
The fuse holders are available in multi fuse versions too.

2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

I used something similar on an electric wheelchair recently.  It needed a complete rewire and I wasn't happy with the lack of a fuse of some sort in the main power circuit; all it had was the isolator switch and a panic link whereby you could isolate the batteries by pulling a chord which simply pulled a piece of nickel-plated brass out of it's clips.

I bought a 60 Amp fusible link and bolted it to one of the battery terminals then bolted the power lead to the link.  Effective and idiot proof.  I think..... :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

lukeman

Looks decent I hadn't seen those before.  Not sure how easy they are to find at a local store, but I guess you could carry enough with you during long trips.

There are also 30amp Maxi Fuses which are really just giant ATO fuses.  They handle more current.

Bluto

+1, The Maxi fuses are a good bet and go all the way up to 120A, have had good luck using one in a high current application.  Most auto parts stores carry Maxi fuses...a holder can be harder to find but marine supply shops generally carry good quality ones, i.e. West Marine, etc...