News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer GVWR

Started by nickjtc, December 06, 2013, 07:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Anyone know what a Steamer is rated for in terms of carrying capacity... front and rear end bodies plus luggage?

Than q.

Nick
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

97tiger885

Quote from: nickjtc on December 06, 2013, 07:59:52 PM
Anyone know what a Steamer is rated for in terms of carrying capacity... front and rear end bodies plus luggage?

Than q.

Nick

Owner's manual lists dry weight as 459.8 lbs (209kg) and the maximum payload (rider & passenger & accessories) as 398.6 lbs (181kg) on page 102 under "Specifications".

nickjtc

Thanks for that. Looks like me and the s.o will have to lose weight if I get one!!  :augie

97tiger885

Quote from: nickjtc on December 06, 2013, 08:51:29 PM
Thanks for that. Looks like me and the s.o will have to lose weight if I get one!!  :augie

I suspect most 2-up touring riders exceed the GVWR on a regular basis with no great ill effect.   Braking  distances increase.  Handling is a bit worse.  But you dial back the riding to match those.

I probably exceed the GVWR myself  fully loaded solo for touring.  6.6 gallons of fuel is 50 lbs.  Oil is 8 lbs.  Coolant is 8 pounds.  Wingrack and bags are  25 lbs.  Crash bars are 35 lbs.  Center stand is 5 lbs.  Tools, raingear, etc are 25 lbs.  That is about 155 lbs.   My weight in full gear adds 225.  That gives me 380 lbs which leaves about 20 lbs for clothing and camping gear.

Sin_Tiger

If you do get one, I recommend having the rear sub frame strengthened just behind the uprights, it's not uncommon for them to crack just there.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

I have indeed just found one. The p/o has done a lot of two-up riding on it and says it handles the load just fine. We'll see.

rybes

heres pics of mine loaded up for a 1000 mile trip to denmark. around 50 kg of luggage with me and Camilla on it. each of us in gear weigh jus over 100kg each. apart from the fact the front wheel never felt attached to the ground at times  :bug_eye it performed perfect  :wheel

reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)