News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Does your cherished Tiger have a nickname......

Started by nickjtc, December 12, 2013, 08:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

...............and if so where did it come from?

Can't find this topic having been discussed before, but if it has please give a link.

Anyhoo, the cheque has cleared so Stanley will be in my garage tomorrow. Woohoo.   :eusa_clap A cup of finest java to anyone who can guess where 'Stanley' comes from. :qgaraduate
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Make mine a double expresso  :bad  "Stanley" was a turn of the century maker of steam powered motor vehicles, without the aid of Google or a safety net  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 12, 2013, 10:58:53 PM
Make mine a double expresso  :bad  "Stanley" was a turn of the century maker of steam powered motor vehicles, without the aid of Google or a safety net  :thumbsup

Applause applause  :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Full marks to that man.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Motor_Carriage_Company for details.

Of course, I made it really easy by having a picture of one that I saw on a road trip last year as my avatar  :icon_wink: :icon_wink:

nickjtc

Now, back to business...... surely I'm not the only sad, sorry, ghof to give a bike a name??? :icon_rolleyes:

Bixxer Bob

Don't name my bikes although I call my satnav Doris.  The reason goes back to when men, as well as women, were allowed to make sexist comments.  Many years ago the collective noun for a group of female RAF persons was "The Dorises" and since my satnav and I rarely agree on anything it seemed appropriate.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

SilverTiger

I don't normally name my bikes either, unless it's B*stard or something far worse when it breaks or tries to hurt me.  When I bought my Tiger it was with the intention of using it for lots of 2-up touring with the wife.  She said the bike should have a name.  "Don't be daft," I said.  "No, come on, if I'm gonna sit on the back of this thing for days on end it should have a name,"  she replied. "OK then, what do want to call it?" says I.  "Tigger," she says.  "You can't all it Tigger," I reply.  "Why not?" she says. "'Cos Tigger's a bloke.  These bikes are Girlies."  Then followed an explanation as to why we call them Girlies.  "Oh, alright then," she said, "she's called Maud." 
Don't ask me why, but it's stuck ever since.  Maud has done a couple of 3000+ milers down to Croatia and many days out and has been absolutely brilliant.  Apart from wind noise and occasionally when fully laden a lack of grunt, I can't fault her.
I'd like to think my Mrs. had Maud Adams in mind when she chose that name.  Now that was some Girly........
2006 silver Triumph Tiger 955i
1975 Triumph Bonneville T140
1972 Kawasaki 500 H1B - now restored, very orange
1999 Yamaha R1 - bought new

nickjtc

Just to make conversation. This whole naming thing seems to be an acquired taste and I only started doing it within the last 10 years or so.

A friend had a Kawasaki W650 called George. Named after George W Bush. Geddit?? :augie
At the time I had a 1968 CB175 project, so I called it 'Boy George'.

My '79 XT500 was 'Gromit', from Wallace and Gromit.

Geoff W

I sometimes refer to my steamer as Imran. It is a bit convoluted, in one of the early cricket world cup finals, England batted first and put up a huge score. Pakistan faced a difficult job , and no one fancied them to win. They had a reputation for giving up easily. Imran Khan gave a speech which exhorted them to come out" fighting like wounded tigers". They did and they won. I have always liked Imran Khan for his style and ability as a cricketer, so the name came out. Strange how minds work.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: nickjtc on December 13, 2013, 05:34:11 PM
A friend had a Kawasaki W650 called George. Named after George W Bush. Geddit?? :augie

I'm guessing it doesn't go round corners very well and spends a lot of time in hedges  :augie
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 13, 2013, 11:46:10 PM
I'm guessing it doesn't go round corners very well and spends a lot of time in hedges  :augie

Hmmm. Never thought of that. Actually it's a bit more 'lateral thinking'. Kawasaki W650/George W Bush. :icon_confused:

DavidR8

My girl is named BluCat, hardly original...but it was obvious.
2006 Girly, stone stock!

robxxxx

Quote from: DavidR8 on December 15, 2013, 01:20:00 AM
My girl is named BluCat, hardly original...but it was obvious.

Always called mine Big Blue Bastard. The new Explorer is now BBB II. Guess the colour.......?

Nick Calne

The steamer is known as Patch in my house because it has had a patchwork of coloured panels over time.

Some previous bikes...

Had a daytona called trilby because it was black as your hat.

Had a 125 called Barnaby because it was gay as a maypole.

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

nickjtc

Quote from: nickcalne on December 15, 2013, 10:23:58 PM
Had a 125 called Barnaby because it was gay as a maypole.

So are you inferring that anything/body called Barnaby likes their bread buttered on the other side?  :augie

Bixxer Bob

His middle name is going to be Barnaby, you just know it.  :hat10
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...