News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My cat hates the cold - wet-key cylinder issues

Started by benebob, December 31, 2013, 12:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

Seems that I keep getting water into the ignition cylinder.  Have tried some graphite lube and pb blaster but nothing seems to help.  Key won't go in in the morning when I leave for work so I drove for the 3rd time in the past 2 weeks because of it.  Any ideas on what to try next?
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

Is it water getting in while standing?  If so covering it would help (idiot answer), if it's water already in there freezing,   a spray with windscreen defroster should do it.  Only guessing, never had that happen...... :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

benebob

Yeah, water gets into it while standing then freezes.  Never had the issue on any other bike like this in similar conditions.  I ride nearly ever day so a cover is a  pita.  I'm shocked no one else has had the issue as tere isn't any wear or damage showing on the cylinder.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Sin_Tiger

Once you get it properly cleared of water (I agree with BB), I would fill it up with silicone grease, the Dow Corning stuff works great on our exposed marine locks. If I can dig some out I'll post up the makers code, it comes in toothpaste sized tubes so a quick squirt when you get home at night will probably stop the crap getting in.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint