News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer needing new engine or repair

Started by engine22, January 15, 2014, 10:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

Quote from: engine22 on January 15, 2014, 10:05:45 PM
Hello everybody, I am very new to this community.

Looking forward to getting a lot of great advice here.

Thanks.

Glad you found your way here.  The good news is as I told you folks here can tell you what is going on with your engine.  The bad news is now you know what is going on and how much work and money to fix it.

chrisw

Id replace the cam chain tensioner and try again ....... I think youll be ok

engine22

Bummer dude!! Thought I might get out with an easy fix! At least I know a head pull is an absolute necessity. Now I'm really starting to question whether its worth the trouble with a 47k mileage engine, or just do an engine swap.. Looking at this engine now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Triumph-Thunderbird-900-Engine-Assembly-Runs-Strong-23K-Motor-With-Warranty-/230876388269?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c14e1bad&vxp=mtr. I know it wouldn't look quite right, but its half the mileage and the seller guarantees the engine with a warranty..

Chrisw I am going to try that as well. I ordered a used cam chain, tensioner, and guides on ebay for 40 bucks today. I will try the new tensioner when they get here and that would just be lovely if you were right.

97Tiger885 Thanks for referring me here. Getting tons of great info really making this process a lot easier. Definitely looking to be more expensive than I hoped, but I got the bike for $650 loaded, so even if I have to fork out for a new engine, it is still worth it.

Mustang

:nono not only is the tbird engine going to look strange it's way down on hp compared to a steamer engine and you won't have the lovely flat torque curve of a steamer .
IT will also be a 5 speed that shifts ass backwards IIRC
if you are going to use a used chain , I would at least put a new spring in the tensioner
fix it right and you'll be rewarded with many many thousands of more miles
take the cheap way out and it WILL grenade .

do whatever floats your boat though .

edit: that ebay motor is being called a 1995 t bird sport engine . it's not
it's a plain jane 5 speed 68 hp t bird motor
by the time you are done with shipping you will be just shy of a grand out of pocket .
fix yours for 350 bucks
would be a no brainer for me .

engine22

Good point, didn't know the power was so different on that bike. Don't worry, I'm only using the used stuff to test some stuff out like the chain tensioner and rear guide (stuff I can test without pulling the head). I am not planning on this being a permanent fix, just a way I can test out some stuff before I spend a lot of money.

Just read your edit Mustang. Copy that, you are right. I'll take your advice and spend the $350 for new parts. I think I will pull the head before I order the parts since I will have to anyways. This way I can at least verify for sure that there is no valve damage.

Mustang

Mustang

label and mark everything when you take it apart .
the cam caps cannot be interchanged with other positions they must go back on exactly where they came from . same goes for the buckets and shims
and there are a couple of hidden fasteners that hold the head on .

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: engine22 on January 17, 2014, 04:30:08 PM
I guess I don't really know the history of this one either! :icon_scratch:

Very true. At least you're in the right place for support and I think you've the right frame of mind.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

I too think ChrisW might be right. Engine off the CCT will move forward under spring tension and the dog teeth will lock. Start it up and a worn dog tooth lets go and the chain goes slack and jumps the cogs. Engine stops, CCT re-tensions, and so on.......
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

engine22

Yeah, I think if I'm going to the trouble I might as well replace the cam sprockets. Total parts will set me back about 380,  but I only paid 650 for the bike, and while I'm at it I could do a valve check and replace the head gasket, so I would really be doing a hell of a tune up and probably extending engine life quite a bit. This bike is loaded, all the luggage, engine guards, grip warmers, aux lights, etc. So really, getting a bike like this for just over a grand (and some sweat equity) is really still pretty great. Especially considering my current bike is a KLR650 and I am selling it for about 2k now that I have this. I am getting one hell of an upgrade, and coming out ahead.

Thank you guys for all your help. I will keep you updated as the project continues. Right now I am just waiting for parts.

Sin_Tiger

If you do all that, your valves are good, give the carbs a once over,  carb rubbers you should look at closely, I think your efforts will leave you with a damn good bike for the money  :icon_mrgreen:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

engine22

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 18, 2014, 11:07:45 AM
I too think ChrisW might be right. Engine off the CCT will move forward under spring tension and the dog teeth will lock. Start it up and a worn dog tooth lets go and the chain goes slack and jumps the cogs. Engine stops, CCT re-tensions, and so on.......

BixxerBob if you can ChrisW are right I would be a very happy camper. Like I said I ordered a used CCT so I can test this theory before pulling the head.

How much pressure should it  take for the CCT be under before a dog tooth lets go? I originally thought this was the problem when I started pulling stuff apart as I was able to get the CCT to give in with a fair amount of pressure with my hand. I couldn't really see any visible wear on the dog teeth, but I was under the impression it should never give in except under extreme pressure?

If nothing else I am learning a lot about this bike...

Bixxer Bob

It shouldn't give in at all. Period.  Look again, there is wear somewhere and you have found the problem. Either one of the teeth, the ratchet pawl, or sideways play in the plunger.

If you are going to pull the head, Mustang will point you to the relative info for re-seating the liners, it's another must do.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

engine22

Alright well I will pop the new CCT in as soon as it gets here and let you guys know what happens. That would certainly save a big headache. I thought that the CCT should never give and I became very excited when I first started suspecting this was the problem because its such an easy fix.

birddogone

Sorry to barge in fellas, but this is a great thread! All the help for E22's Steamer is terrific, sounds like he'll have her run'n in no time flat.    :thumbsup
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

"If it doesn't run on fossil fuel or gun powder I'm not interested"