News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

This time - Spark plugs...

Started by JayDub, February 08, 2014, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

nick, its cos of the rubber gasket between the cylinder head and rocker cover. if its tightened down too much it squeezes out makin the hole smaller. if ya put a little oil on the socket before ya put it in it makes it easier to get in and out. if ya socket is still stuck in the hole, put in an extension bar and as ya pull the socket out twist it. it should come out easyish then
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

JayDub

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 16, 2014, 07:09:06 PM
If you have the original Triumph toolkit there's a special plug spanner in it that does the job a treat :thumbsup
Typically, I have the tool kit - but with the plug spanner missing Bob :icon_rolleyes:

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 16, 2014, 07:09:06 PM
If you have the original Triumph toolkit there's a special plug spanner in it that does the job a treat :thumbsup

Ah yes. But unfortunately us poor souls that do not have one just  :augie !!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

nickjtc

Quote from: rybes on February 16, 2014, 08:46:11 PM
nick, its cos of the rubber gasket between the cylinder head and rocker cover. if its tightened down too much it squeezes out makin the hole smaller. if ya put a little oil on the socket before ya put it in it makes it easier to get in and out. if ya socket is still stuck in the hole, put in an extension bar and as ya pull the socket out twist it. it should come out easyish then

Thank you. I will try that next time.  I had thoughts of giving my socket to a machinist friend and having him skilfully turn it down so it will fit. A rubber gasket is doing the nasty....hmmm.

97tiger885

Quote from: nickjtc on February 16, 2014, 05:43:00 PM

Quote from: dave NL on February 15, 2014, 04:24:11 PM
Interesting. The booklet which comes with the bike states grade 9. But the Triunph manual i got states grade 8.

Same for me. My service manual is US/Canada, but my owners manual is UK. Maybe they recommend different grades for that side of the pond??

As an aside. Is it me or are the cavities down to the plugs different diameters? I had an extremely frustrating session yesterday pm after checking the plugs on cylinders 1 and 3. No problem with 3, but when the plug was tightened on 1 the deep socket I use was wedged and would not come out. With a light shining down the hole I could not see any reason for it to get hung up. I ended up grinding some of the material around the lip of the socket.

And answer me this, oh Steamer experts.  :bowdown You need to use a deep socket to get to the plug on cylinder 2. How are you supposed to get it in the hole with the lack of clearance between the cam cover and the frame tube, short of physically shortening it or taking the cam cover off???

You need the OEM spark plug wrench which is shorter than most.

Here is the Tiger wrench compared to the K100RS wrench.

The Tiger wrench also has a rubber insert with a hole into which the plug terminal fits.

nickjtc

Quote from: 97tiger885 on February 17, 2014, 01:52:59 AMYou need the OEM spark plug wrench which is shorter than most.

Thank you! I will call the local dealership to see how much they want for one.

JayDub

I 'skillfully ' turn things down usually with an angle grinder and file :mut

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on February 17, 2014, 11:26:28 AM
I 'skillfully ' turn things down usually with an angle grinder and file

:iagree  Sounds like my way of doing things.  :icon_wink: I come from the "if all else fails, hit it with a hammer" school of mechanics.  :qgaraduate

ssevy

I had a machinist turn down a plug socket for my Legend engine. You can also buy a name brand thinwall ($$$) or a cheap Chinese socket at a hardware which already has thinner walls. I use a piece of rubber fuel line to push over the ceramic part of the plug to install it, as it is easy to feel the "click" of the threads engaging when you turn the plug slowly counterclockwise. When you feel that click, the threads are aligned and you can then turn clockwise until the hose begins to slip on the porcelain. Pull the hose out, drop in your plug socket and torque away. To get the socket back out, I use one of those cheap magnets on an extendable antenna mast. You may need to experiment with what length of extension to use with the plug socket. The rubber hose is also used to retrieve the loosened plugs, a process I had to do twice when I last changed plugs, as I forgot to take off the threaded caps and the plug wires wouldn't go on. :icon_redface:
I may not be big, but I'm slow.