News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

This time - Spark plugs...

Started by JayDub, February 08, 2014, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

It seems that the recommended plugs for my '95 Steamer are NGK DPR9EA-9, Is this correct? or is there a tried and tested improvement here in the UK? - Also The owners manual I have is for an earlier model as the wiring diag doesn't cover the (time) clock and the copyright mark is 1992, would that be the T300 model, is there a lot of difference? as the w/shop manual I have is for the T300 but seems to to be accurate enough.

dave NL

Yes it seems. But in the WS manual it states grade 8 plugs, i went for grade 8 , they run a little hotter and self-clean better during short trips, which would be a good thing during start-ups. Grade 9 is not really required, only in high rev, high power engines.
Getting the tiger back on the road.

JayDub

Quote from: dave NL on February 08, 2014, 09:41:51 PM
Yes it seems. But in the WS manual it states grade 8 plugs, i went for grade 8 , they run a little hotter and self-clean better during short trips, which would be a good thing during start-ups. Grade 9 is not really required, only in high rev, high power engines.
Maybe DPR8EA-9 instead of DPR9EA-9? or is the last number the grading.

dave NL

JayDub

I may give them a try mate, Thanks.

rybes

just found this handy little thing http://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/motorbikes_scooters.php while the subject of spark plugs is up, iridium v normal...whats the differnce ?
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

JayDub

Quote from: rybes on February 15, 2014, 10:25:47 AM
just found this handy little thing http://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/motorbikes_scooters.php while the subject of spark plugs is up, iridium v normal...whats the differnce ?
I suppose there are many who would argue this (maybe to justify spending 4 times as much on Iridium ones :icon_smile:) but I've been told by 2 mechanics that the difference between (quality) standard plugs and any other type for road use was only noticeable on a monitor/test equipment, as the driver/rider would not be able to tell otherwise, only the grade or 'temperature' really matters... Personally, having tried Iridium plugs in a GPZ900r, I would tend to agree.  Some people are easily swayed by marketing... but that's just my opinion  :icon_biggrin:

JayDub

And thanks for the link rybes, that's a useful site, also interesting is how dave NL also suggested DPR8EA-9 instead of the OE DPR9EA-9.

GavD

I found the NGK website recommended DPR8EA-9, whereas the Triumph & Haynes manual both said DPR9EA-9. I went with the manuals, seems to run fine.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

dave NL

Interesting. The booklet which comes with the bike states grade 9. But the Triunph manual i got states grade 8.

Is there difference between manuals?

Besides the manual, also the research on the net leads me to think grade 8 might be the better choice for the steamer. ( carbs)

Injection engines usually run a little hotter, grade 9 would be more ovbious then

JayDub

So... Its official now then - dave NL is the resident expert on steamer spark plugs - all hail Dave!  :eusa_clap  :icon_biggrin: Thanks Dave.

dave NL

nickjtc

Quote from: dave NL on February 15, 2014, 04:24:11 PM
Interesting. The booklet which comes with the bike states grade 9. But the Triunph manual i got states grade 8.

Same for me. My service manual is US/Canada, but my owners manual is UK. Maybe they recommend different grades for that side of the pond??

As an aside. Is it me or are the cavities down to the plugs different diameters? I had an extremely frustrating session yesterday pm after checking the plugs on cylinders 1 and 3. No problem with 3, but when the plug was tightened on 1 the deep socket I use was wedged and would not come out. With a light shining down the hole I could not see any reason for it to get hung up. I ended up grinding some of the material around the lip of the socket.

And answer me this, oh Steamer experts.  :bowdown You need to use a deep socket to get to the plug on cylinder 2. How are you supposed to get it in the hole with the lack of clearance between the cam cover and the frame tube, short of physically shortening it or taking the cam cover off???
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

I didn't have a big problem with #2 as I had already made up a tool using an old box spanner with a 3/8 drive 14mm socket welded in the end for my GPZ900r, fortunately it was just the right length if I inserted the tool first then attached the ratchet.

Bixxer Bob

If you have the original Triumph toolkit there's a special plug spanner in it that does the job a treat :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...