News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Big Marks 2005 Tiger may live...

Started by BigMark Returns, February 10, 2014, 11:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMark Returns

I'm back! (If anyone on here still remembers me that is)
I am not even sure how long it's been but it's definitely Spud's fault! While we were trying our best to scrape the handlebars of our girlies around the Pyrenees, my now ex, was packing my stuff in bags and moving me out! Anyway, enough of that...

So 3 years later I got myself settled and decided to go look under the mouldy, dusty, brittle old bike cover down the bottom of my dad's garden to see if the Silver Monster was still salvageable! Turns out that moisture doesn't do a bike much good, neither does a failed bike cover with splits in it, moss and rust...

Being a stubborn bastard, and with much less money; I am going to see if this thing has some life left. (Because we did have some fond memories from back in the day)
First step is going to be to drain fluids, change filters etc and get her breathing again. Then I will worry about the seized brakes, sticky spot in the steering and finally the aesthetics. 

First thing I need help with is the dashboard. All seals failed, all dials appear shot and the backings are unreadable. They don't do anything with a charged battery connected. (The starter turns)
Anyone know of a place in the UK who will custom make me a dashboard using the original as a template for mounts as I would like all upgraded LED dials, not just a replacement as I never much liked the originals anyway?

My original luggage rack (side mounts) are completely rusted and corroded, so I expect impossible to repair so I need a replacement original one if anyone has one kicking around...

Any tips on getting this thing back on the road are always welcome.

Bixxer Bob

Wahay big fella!!! :wav  Welcome back!!!   :wings

Sorry to hear of your wedded woes, but like you say enough of that!!!

Can't help with the dash, but Dave B does speedo graphics so might be worth a shout.  He may know someone who can do what you need.

As for the rest, you have a deadline:  Tiger meet is Scotland this yr in July, Sin Tiger is running it with a bit of help from me.

The rusty pannier brackets can be blasted and powder coated for les money than a set of replacements.

While you're standing looking at it, you could be taking all plugs apart, cleaning and greasing the contacts / pins and putting them back together.  Use dialectric grease designed for the job.  You never know, it might just bring stuff to life that's sulking at the moment.  Also, do the same with the fuses, including the big 30amp on the side of the battery box.

Gotta rush, I'll be back later.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

If I was in the Pyrenees enjoying myself and left my Mrs at home she'd be chucking my things out as well  :icon_wink:

Re the bike? ebay ,secondhand Tiger parts still don't fetch big bucks anything that doesn't work just swap it trying to bodge the likes of electrical kit blimey you'll be in a world of pain.

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

cba191

Ive been checking eBay, and iirc, there is a complete dash available as well as a lot of gauges.
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

Sin_Tiger

Welcome home mate  :icon_salut: sorry to hear about the life issues, chasing your shirts around the lawn must be a bugger  :augie

Has it really been three years  :bug_eye somebody stole a year from me somewhere  :sleepy1

I see you've reverted to a cuddly little cub  :icon_wink: never mind by the time you've got the bike purring again you be a cool cat again, in our eyes at least, hang the statistics.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

BigMark Returns

ITS ALIVE!!!!
couldn't leave it alone so drained the old fuel,  connected my car battery for extra umph and broom-bloody-broom purring like a kitten (If you imagine an asthmatic kitty with a lung disease and chronic hicups)

I changed all the fuses, still no instruments working. But everything else seems alright.  Ill decide on that the weekend, old second hand panels arent cheap!

Plan is to run the engine next weekend for a bit as in my mind that will shift all the congealed shit to the filters. Then change them all.

BigMark Returns

Battery is buggered so suggestions on quality UK supplier please?   I was looking for a hawker but no luck  and they may be all hype..
I am playing with calipers this week in my lunch break so they should be fine for the weekend so long as parts turn up. Which reminds me, I should get them out of the sink as soon as I finish this beer.

Paints peeling but does that matter,   really...

Oh, better go. Girlfriends asking why my forks are in the downstairs bathtub...

Bixxer Bob

I've fitted 5 Motobatt batteries recently and they are very good, holding their charge well without a battery monitor while the bike stands for weeks on end.  The downside as Chris will tell you, is when they eventually die they go quickly.

Chris Canning

You can forget Odyssey because they don't do one sadly,as Bixxer has already said I've had experience of these gel batterie thingies and jesus they go kaput they drop off a cliff like riding all the way to Portsmouth stop fuel press the button and zilch,I've just bought my first lithium battery but it's for a bike that I can bump  easy in all other cases I'd go lead acid like Varta at least you get a warning when it's going to bite you in the arse.

cba191

'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

BigMark Returns

Thanks but I may have found a donor dash already. Its smashed but the dials and electrics are all good so I could rebuild mine with it. Its not great but its cheap and that's a good start.

My pannier brackets appear coated with some plastic shit so i am not sure how sand blasting and powder coating will work on them?

BigMark Returns

* Memories are flooding back - Helps with the restoration inspiration!!!

Spud

Your alive ya bugga. I did try to contact you to no avail. Give me a shout if you need anything for the Tigga as I have a few bits lying around off mine. Pyrenees high winds snow down to 1200 feet and you scraping the pegs  :nap   :icon_evil:

Glad to see you around mate fancy Spain in June  :thumbsup

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

BigMark Returns

You forgot to mention the Vultures, Camping, Spotting Beavers and the Mole in my Tent... (Funny how memories work)

I am in the Czech June 21st and heading to Slovakia straight after so can't, plus I may take my g/f with me this time instead of you.. :bug_eye

I'll PM my details to you buddy.

Whats wrong with the Blue Beauty then? Or do i have to go buy a DR for our next adventure...