News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A good day

Started by JayDub, February 16, 2014, 08:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

Went for a nice run today as the storms have finally eased up, Sun shining, mostly blue sky, not too cold or windy... 85 miles later and plenty of dirt tracks I still couldn't get the thing dirty - I think I have a self-cleaning Tiger!

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

birddogone

ManOMan......She sure is a beauty!   :thumbsup
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

"If it doesn't run on fossil fuel or gun powder I'm not interested"

JayDub

Thanks, but I can't take credit for it as thats how I bought it :icon_smile:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: JayDub on February 16, 2014, 08:22:04 PM
I think I have a self-cleaning Tiger!

If thtat's a bolt on accessory I want one too  :icon_lol:

Now that I see those cans as part of the whole bike, they look soooo right, way bettter than the originals, look like they were made for the bike  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

They certainly look the business eh Niall, gotta pull those carbs out tho' its just not right at low speed, because of the weight its embarrassing to turn around, got to put me feet down sometimes!

dave NL

Good looking bike!

Like the wheels, those are Girly wheels including the bigger front discs! Wonder how the calipers are made to fit... :icon_biggrin:

Also the rear suspension height of your bike seems adjusted looking at the `dogbones`
Getting the tiger back on the road.

JayDub

Quote from: dave NL on February 19, 2014, 09:50:24 AM
Good looking bike!

Like the wheels, those are Girly wheels including the bigger front discs! Wonder how the calipers are made to fit... :icon_biggrin:

Also the rear suspension height of your bike seems adjusted looking at the `dogbones`
Thanks for that Dave, I didn't know! the PO said the rear wheel was replaced with a wider one, the callipers look normal - no adapter plates etc, he did lower the rear suspension, ( I would have made those `dogbones` a bit more attractive tho), I'm now thinking what to look for when replacing the pads, or are those the original callipers - they look it.

JayDub

You got me thinking now Dave (I don't usually on a Wednesday), there are small signs of crash damage on the bike... cracked left aux airbox, 1" hole in bottom of right hand-guard like a scrape, the l/h engine cover looks older than the rest of the engine, cracked r/h fork guard hidden by sticker, l/h side panel replaced by an originally blue one... So are the forks also from a girly then? The bars are not straight when travelling in a straight line so I'm now wondering about the yokes! :icon_scratch:

dave NL

The forks a standard steamer ones, the drain plug is there at the bottom. The stanchions can bended a bit, you can put the front wheel between your legs and bend it back, dont ask how i know :augie

The front discs are for sure Girly ones, looks like the caliper brakets are put back together upside down to make it fit. On the steamer the long mounting point on the fork is the lower one, on the Girly this is the upper one.
The Girly wheels have stainless spokes, the steamer zinc plated steel spokes, this is easy to see on the bike.

Can you make a closer picture of the caliper mounting?  :icon_biggrin:

On ebay many parts are up for sale, within a couple months some scars can be removed  :icon_smile:

JayDub

I'll get a close-up tomorrow Dave, the rear does have stainless spokes but the front are painted black, they're definately Girly discs and I tried loosening the fork clamps and spindle then twisting the forks straight then re-tightening it all but they are still out of line, that's what makes me think that the yokes could be bent - but it still rides nicely.  I don't worry too much about a bikes history as long as its all safe, and all the little battle scars just add to its character - just think how boring it would be if EVERYONE'S bike was in mint, showroom condition, that's why my other bike is a rat-bike.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: dave NL on February 19, 2014, 07:51:58 PM
The forks a standard steamer ones, the drain plug is there at the bottom.

Beat me to the answer Dave :thumbsup

The rear rim has probably been replaced when the original corroded away at the spoke penetrations, common, just surprised if the front is original, usually they go first. DID (original) appeared to have been made of a type of cheese, probably French cheese as the Dutch stuff is much stronger  :augie

I've a collection of bit's that I'm not likely to use soon, might help with tidying things up that are irking you, will have a chat over a cofffee in March  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Stainless+aluminium is always an iffy combo - or most dissimilar metals - especially when salt gets in there.  The front rim is OK around the spoke seats, and thanks for that Niall, can I make a list :icon_lol:
Also, here's some calliper pics for Dave...

dave NL

Ah, the pictures tell a lot. Looks like the same blacksmith of the suspension linkage created the caliper mounting plates  :icon_wink:

JayDub

It was the last owner who did the suspension mod and he said that was as far as his engineering capabilities would stretch... I think maybe the same fabricator as the exhaust can caps - a bit more skilful... (that's coming from a qualified fabricator/welder btw) I would have used Dural meself to avoid the rust. :augie