News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A good day

Started by JayDub, February 16, 2014, 08:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

Quote from: JayDub on February 23, 2014, 04:42:32 PM
HA! it gets even better... I only counted half of the rear sprocket teeth at first as I couldn't be arsed getting the paddock stand from the shed, but now I've checked properly I find that the rear is not 44 but actually.................... 42 TEETH!!!! - AND the front sprocket is..................17 TEETH!!! :bug_eye
I think the PO has probably gone over to a sports bike by now :icon_scratch:
No wonder it felt so crap at low speed.
So you could go to a std fr..18? But that rear does seem small? A bigger front will also lift the chain a little from swingarm :thumbsup Worth a go considering the small cost. What about chain length?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Ah! I didn't consider the chain length, if I go to a 48 rear and 18 front then it's not gonna be long enough, and I wasn't gonna put the sidestand/sprocket cover back til I had fitted the new sprocket so I can't count the links  :icon_mad:

threepot

You might get away with the chain you have if you go up to 18t? Chain does slack off a lot when you turn adjusters. Worth a go. Think std chain is 114 links?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: JayDub on February 23, 2014, 12:35:38 PM
The twisties are far more interesting so ........... :blah :blah :blah
this type of riding begs for 17/48 , she will embarrass squids on yamahas in the twisties .
it's also what I run on the hack .
18/48 combo will put you around 4500 rpm at 65 mph in 6th
17/48 will boost rpm by 500 at same speed

JayDub

I want to put a 48 on the rear though, and that's quite a step up from 42, even if I keep the 17 front as mustang suggests, I can't see that happening as the chain must have been shortened to get to the current configuration?

threepot

Count it,std 114 links? Personally,I wouldn't go 17t on the front
Yes Mustang,std combo is good. I still think that Triumph should have put the 900 Trident engine and gearing into the Tiger. Another bike you could just leave in top and ride,with a bit more up top. Great bike :icon_smile
Off the subject..how do you think Trident cams would work in the Tiger without changing the ecu?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Stuff it! I've just ordered a DID X-Ring standard C&S kit, its worth 90 quid to save messing about and if the other chain does have enough length then I have a spare.... 'tis all part of the trials and tribulations of our passion - innit chaps? :icon_biggrin:

Can't threepot,  - can't turn the wheel!... the bikes part dismantled and leaning over coz I didn't want to lose me new oil :icon_rolleyes:

threepot

Thats a bloody good price for DID Gold Xring kit. Bet you can't wait to try it :thumbsup. I've just fitted new Tourance EXP and rear bearings to mine. One of the bearings was seized to the spindle! Took me 3hrs and a lot of hammering to get it out. Took it to a friends engineering shop,had to grind it off. Even an hydraulic press couldn't shift it. PO hadn't greased it up :icon_evil: No wonder I couldn't get the adjusters to fit nice in the swing/arm.Took it out yesterday around Llynn Brianne Dam. Bike is transformed!
PS,have you got a new gearshift/shaft seal,before puting the sprocket case back on? :augie
Mine is weeping,new one next oil change.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

I've now corrected my typo's threepot :icon_redface: stiil can't wait to try it with proper gearing :icon_biggrin: no I haven't got a seal... I should tho' - looking into it now :icon_wink: Damn PO's need shooting :icon_mad:

threepot

Where you at up North? Was up there a couple yrs back for my 50th. Didn't have Tiger then..on my Super3.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Quote from: threepot on February 23, 2014, 08:51:19 PM
Where you at up North? Was up there a couple yrs back for my 50th. Didn't have Tiger then..on my Super3.
About 4 miles east of Bangor, only got mine beginning of Dec - luv it!

John Stenhouse

That makes no sense, the 42 tooth rear would raise the gearing, meaning a faster speed for a lower rev, but the front would drop the gearing, so that works against each other.  :icon_scratch:

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Sin_Tiger

Perhaps the PO had similar problems with his  mathematics as he had with his brackets  :augie
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Off topic for a minute; Jaydub, I'll be at Circuite de Anglesey for the CRMC meet 13-15 May. Worth a look if only to drool over the old bikes.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...