News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

battery help

Started by exchead, March 02, 2014, 11:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exchead

Trying to get the old girl started today after winter laid up in my workshop.bike wont turn over,battery is a motobatt mbtx12u and has been on an optimate 4 over winter it shows the two green lights that say battery is ok,all other electrics work ie headlamps bright and horn etc,put my meter across battery and with no load i have 12.6 volts,when i turn ignition on fuel pump primes head lamps on i get 11.9,when i press starter button it just clicks and im getting 12 volts with headlamps dimming,im thinking new battery time its 4 years old,shoud i be seeing nearer to 14 volts on a good one :icon_confused:any help asap cheers

exchead

Quote from: exchead on March 02, 2014, 11:52:07 AM
Trying to get the old girl started today after winter laid up in my workshop.bike wont turn over,battery is a motobatt mbtx12u and has been on an optimate 4 over winter it shows the two green lights that say battery is ok,all other electrics work ie headlamps bright and horn etc,put my meter across battery and with no load i have 12.6 volts,when i turn ignition on fuel pump primes head lamps on i get 11.9,when i press starter button it just clicks and im getting 12 volts with headlamps dimming,im thinking new battery time its 4 years old,shoud i be seeing nearer to 14 volts on a good one :icon_confused:any help asap cheers
bike is running now,jumped it off a car battery,only showing 11.6 volts running with lights etc,im deffo thinking battery now :icon_eek:

John Stenhouse

If it's 11.6 when it's running the charging circuit is snafu. Regulator/rectifier time
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

exchead

Quote from: John Stenhouse on March 02, 2014, 02:18:28 PM
If it's 11.6 when it's running the charging circuit is snafu. Regulator/rectifier time
ive got a receipt for a reg/rec from last owner who changed it last year

Mustang

Quote from: exchead on March 02, 2014, 02:42:47 PM
Quote from: John Stenhouse on March 02, 2014, 02:18:28 PM
ive got a receipt for a reg/rec from last owner who changed it last year
doesn't matter if he put 10 of em in last year ................running , even with dead battery, should show at least 13 volts . your reg/rectifier is toast again .

Bixxer Bob

:nod

And get the mosfet one from Electrex (the one with the extra purple wire) it's the same price and far better than the old style.

Before you order it, if you can follow these simple instructions, you might save yourself long long term grief:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=electrex%20world%20stator%20testing&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.electrexworld.co.uk%2Facatalog%2FTroubleshooting-3P-PMG-%26-RR.pdf&ei=_E8TU8HPMsKqhQe3oIHoBg&usg=AFQjCNEMwzgn7EtLEjdmwWefgu9jUJlIXg
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

exchead

thanks for help,looks like a tight fit to get unbolted  is it battery tray and tank off again

robxxxx

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 02, 2014, 04:40:18 PM
:nod

And get the mosfet one from Electrex (the one with the extra purple wire) it's the same price and far better than the old style.

Electrex must have updated that fairly recently. They never used to do a MOSFET one. I had to order one from the States when I last changed it.

Bixxer Bob

Chris Canning and I both bought ours around the end of last summer so they've been doing them a while now.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Infact they do two different options,tech is even catching up with the old bangers  :icon_biggrin:

I tried mine for a couple of minutes when I fitted it and it was errrr a shock  :icon_eek: the difference in how the motor ran but since then which has been some time ago the bike has been in pieces waiting for my Ohlins to be rebuilt and the bike is almost back together.

exchead

Quote from: Chris Canning on March 03, 2014, 05:03:25 PM
Infact they do two different options,tech is even catching up with the old bangers  :icon_biggrin:

I tried mine for a couple of minutes when I fitted it and it was errrr a shock  :icon_eek: the difference in how the motor ran but since then which has been some time ago the bike has been in pieces waiting for my Ohlins to be rebuilt and the bike is almost back together.
what options are they is there a heavier duty one etc

Bixxer Bob

Chris Canning

Started mine up today after it's been spread all over the garage floor for 5 months in pieces and it ran like a Swiss watch  :icon_biggrin:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Chris Canning on March 04, 2014, 11:35:28 PM
Started mine up today after it's been spread all over the garage floor for 5 months in pieces and it ran like a Swiss watch  :icon_biggrin:

Does that mean you didn't manage to sort out the ticking noise  :icon_wink: or does it make a cuckoo noise when you back off the throttle  :icon_lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint