News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Screens your thoughts

Started by Spud, March 03, 2014, 08:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chairhead

So glad I only use a Triumph sports screen... :icon_eek:
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

rocco

My thought is that i cant imagine HPS selling too many of these @ £216.72!!!  :bug_eye
68 BSA Bantam D14
71 BSA Bantam B175
79 Suzuki X7
93 Kawasaki ZXR 400
03 Triumph Tiger

Spud

The metal work is about £80 so why is the plastic bit so expensive ? any thought on the shape

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Bixxer Bob

I worry about how much strain some screens put on the cowl..... :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JTT

Looks like a pricey version of a Palmer  :icon_scratch:
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

aesdj

Is it just me or does that look hideous.

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

matts23

The price for a Madstad is cheaper here than for a Palmer.  I think the price difference is just where they are made and where you want to buy them.  I am giving thought to buying one.  The pictures on that website don't show very much of it.  I like this setup because instead of just the brackets screwing on in the factory screen holes, this one has a solid aluminum plate that is the shape of the factory screen.  The brackets then bolt to the plate.  I think the palmer brackets would cause a ton of flex in my fairing.  I wish that the fairings on the US bikes didn't have the deep cutout in them.  I really makes them alot weaker.  I don't think either screen setup is very good looking, but to be honest, girlies don't win any beauty contests anyway.  I am just the right height that any non-adjustable screen still makes for buffeting.
----------------------------------------------------------

2002 Tiger (Roulette Green)
1996 Honda XR400R Supermoto St. Legal

Chris Canning

If you need a large slab of plastic stuck on the front of your tiger you've got the wrong bike.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Chris Canning on March 04, 2014, 03:02:46 PM
If you need a large slab of plastic stuck on the front of your tiger you've got the wrong bike.

:nod i have a slightly taller screen, but nothing like some of 'em.  I don't really get the quest for still air  :icon_scratch:

Chris Canning

I understand the quest for still air,but go and buy an FJR/RT/GT, I've had too many warm trips where we have stopped on the side of the road weighing up the pro's and con's of actually taking the screen off and ditching it and that's a standard one never mind that monstrosity.

JTT

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 04, 2014, 10:45:01 PM
Quote from: Chris Canning on March 04, 2014, 03:02:46 PM

:nod i have a slightly taller screen, but nothing like some of 'em.  I don't really get the quest for still air  :icon_scratch:

I think for most it's more about clean/still air.  Head in a paint shaker thing kind of gets old after 400miles or so.  I wear a helmet, shield and ear plugs, so for me I'd just like clean air.  I have no desire to be able to ride 80mph and smoke a cigarette.  If it comes to that I'll buy a mid life crisis soft top sports car  :bad
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

Chris Canning

Well I'm not sure if I'm lucky or just spend more time thinking about it,but the Tiger aero dynamics is a helmet thing,I too wear plugs in fact I couldn't ride 50 yards down the road without plugs on any bike,but I/we have never had the slightest problem since the day we bought the tiger in 2001 we then had Arai RX7's we both changed to an Arai Corsair in 2005 ish and during that time did our 1000 miler with not the slightest problem,in 2012 went to an Arai RX7GP and while the helmet looks similar something is clearly different(I know there is because I spoke to Arai) because there is some buffeting,I still have my Corsair and have done a helmet change to compare and it stops so I know it's the helmet not the screen.

Of course there is an argument that it's cheaper disappearing up your ass changing screens than it is helmets!! and while despite having a garage full of bikes and in the last 18 months made a effort to replace the 955(and failed) the one thing that puts the fear of god into me on my tiger is a windy day I/we have had a couple of horrendous experiences on the Tiger,I only see minus's putting a large ugly piece of plastic on the bike,although maybe sat behind it on a January's winters day with it pissing down with rain and doing 50 mph it might have it's advantages  :icon_biggrin:

chairhead

Quote from: Chris Canning on March 05, 2014, 09:46:38 AM
Tiger aero dynamics is a helmet thing

For you maybe  :icon_rolleyes:,

I have two helmets and they are both the same, I also wear ear plugs, when I bought the Tiger it had a high screen on it which was shit, I cut it down and it was still shit, I then rode without a screen, that was great but looked odd, I eventually got my hands on the sports screen and I've been very happy since that day.

I'm just guessing here but I reckon for many Tiger riders its going to be a combination of factors i.e. screen, helmet, riders height etc.

QuoteOf course there is an argument that it's cheaper disappearing up your ass changing screens than it is helmets!!

I was lucky that day as the  :XXsunsmile was shining from mine, you're lucky you have room for all those helmets. 
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel