News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Negative Clearance-Shims

Started by threepot, March 11, 2014, 10:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

It refers to my Super3. Sorry to post it here,but tried Triumphrat :icon_frown: Just some advice needed please. I checked the clearances recently. All Exhaust seemed ok,but on 4 Inlets I couldn't get a feeler in. And the other 2 were .07  .08
Am I right in thinking the best way to approach this is with the valve tool,and tackle each one individually? By buying the thinnest shim avail,then replacing the shim already in and taking a reading accordingly?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

a good rule of thumb when you have zero clearance is to drop 3 sizes and be prepared to still reshim . 3 sizes will usually get you in the ballpark and you can at least get a reading .
if all six are out pull the cam its faster

threepot

Thanks Mustang. I'll come back to you on that. Maybe I have a 'soft' head :icon_frown: Maybe I should open a new thread on this?> But want to pick your brains again..I put a new set of pads in the rear on the Tiger earlier,but have spent most of the day trying to bleed it! I can get fluid to flow ok,but can't seem to build up enough pressure to close pads onto disc :icon_scratch: Could the master cyl be faulty? Thanks.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: threepot on March 12, 2014, 07:30:56 PM
Thanks Mustang. I'll come back to you on that. Maybe I should open a new thread on this?> But want to pick your brains again..I put a new set of pads in the rear on the Tiger earlier,but have spent most of the day trying to bleed it! I can get fluid to flow ok,but can't seem to build up enough pressure to close pads onto disc :icon_scratch: Could the master cyl be faulty? Thanks.
air in the line guaranteed  :bad

GavD

Threepot,

Why do you need to bleed when you've only changed the pads?

Anyway, I've had probs doing that in the past. I've found the halfords £5 bleed tool helps quite alot, still requires quite a bit of pumping though. If it still doesn't bleed properly then it's prob the master cyl seal. Not done the rear but front was easy enough as long as you've got some internal circlip pliers.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

threepot

I had to swap the caliper from my Daytona. The slide pins had seized on the Tiger. Another bit of lack of maintenance by PO. Have tried the bleed kit valve,and a small length of pipe from nipple into a container of fluid,so it doesn't suck air back. That method normally works straight away :icon_scratch: I have read that placing the caliper higher than the reservoir helps? will try that tomorrow.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

dave NL

Just dont open the bleed valve to much and attach a tranparant hose on the bleed valve. Its only a 5 to 10minute job
Getting the tiger back on the road.

Bixxer Bob

And the seized pins are common on the rear caliper, not necessarily neglect by the PO.  There's a couple of different approaches for fixing them if you search for them.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Geoff W

A friend of mine from the National Chopper Club gave me good advice on caliper bleeding. Remove the caliper from the bracket and hold it with the nipple vertical, i.e. top dead centre, then bleed it. I had a problem bleeding mine, I did this and out popped a couple of little bubbles, problem all sorted.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Sin_Tiger

Hanging the calipers up does help as Geoff says, patience really helps too  :icon_rolleyes:

Sprint manufacturing sell stainless sliding pins, new rubber boots is a good idea as they tend to go soft and lose the seal on the pins. Fit them into the caliper with some Girling red grease and use some Lithium based grease inside the rubber, it doesn't tend to dry up/harden like organic greases.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

Thanks guys,going to try later.

Sorted. Took caliper off and left it suspended above the reservoir overnight,with the bleed nipple out.Did the job :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

:wings hope it's dry enough and not blowing a hoolie like up here,  time for a test  :wheel
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

No ST,weather down here has been fantastic all week :XXsunsmile . Rear brake is good thanks. Fitted those Kyoto pads from ebay. Seems to have a good performance for the price :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: threepot on March 16, 2014, 08:48:34 PM
No ST,weather down here has been fantastic all week :XXsunsmile . Rear brake is good thanks. Fitted those Kyoto pads from ebay. Seems to have a good performance for the price :thumbsup

Thanks for sharing  :icon_razz: wouldn't like to give us a tanking at rugby as well would you  :icon_rolleyes:

What sort of price were the Kyoto's, I've just paid out 24 quid a set for EBC's  :icon_cry:

Bixxer Bob

I bought EBC pads to match the EBC discs I fitted after the OE warped.  I hate them; they've always felt glazed since day one, but am unsure what to replace them with as I've done over 60k with EBCs on the 'Bird with no problems at all.

Go figure, cos I can't.......
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...