News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Yearly mileage

Started by GavD, March 12, 2014, 05:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

The steamer has just been for it's MOT and looking at the previous one, I've done less than 600 miles in a year.  :nono

I think I'll have a word in my own ear, and the next time the kids need a lift somewhere on a nice day just give them the bus fare!
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

nickjtc

Quote from: GavD on March 12, 2014, 05:39:47 PM
The steamer has just been for it's MOT and looking at the previous one, I've done less than 600 miles in a year. 

However, when you can only go so far from home before falling in the sea, it is excusable!  :augie

Gav don't feel bad. We have some of the best riding roads in the world hereabouts, but I only did a couple of thousand kilometres last year.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

GavD

Quote from: nickjtc on March 12, 2014, 05:59:28 PM

However, when you can only go so far from home before falling in the sea, it is excusable!  :augie

Good point Nick, still think i need to stretch her legs a bit more this summer, gonna have to get on that ferry to the 'big island', because we have some of the WORST biking roads here............. pothole city!!

nickjtc

Quote from: GavD on March 12, 2014, 08:11:27 PMgonna have to get on that ferry to the 'big island', because we have some of the WORST biking roads here............. pothole city!!

At least you have the right bike for that. :thumbsup

Sin_Tiger

We have a fair bit of pothole epidemic on the North Island too, I don't know what kind of cheese they are using for road repairs these days  :icon_scratch:

Further North, we have Haggis, tempted  :bad
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 13, 2014, 12:51:54 AM
We have a fair bit of pothole epidemic on the North Island too

4,000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire......??

(That's for the older members of this group  :icon_wink: :icon_wink:)

John Stenhouse

Unfortunately we now have many more holes than will fill the Albert Hall  :icon_frown:
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Spud

some years I manage a good amount of mileage some years I don't life keeps getting in the way, roll on my 6 numbers  :thumbsup

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Bixxer Bob

Given the size of the IoW 600miles isn't as bad as it sounds  :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Quote from: John Stenhouse on March 13, 2014, 10:52:59 AMUnfortunately we now have many more holes than will fill the Albert Hall  :icon_frown:

We must not get too stressed about this problem to the point of blowing our minds out in a car.  :icon_confused:

GavD

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 13, 2014, 12:51:54 AM
We have a fair bit of pothole epidemic on the North Island too, I don't know what kind of cheese they are using for road repairs these days  :icon_scratch:

Further North, we have Haggis, tempted  :bad

Must admit I've been keeping an eye on the meet up thread and I've been considering it (do love Haggis, and a good pint of heavy), only thing is it's the weekend before the family holiday and i'm not sure it's a good idea. I've not done any BIG mileage in about 10 years or so, so I'm not sure how I'll handle it nowadays. Suppose there's only one way to find out. Would have to do some serious creeping to MrsD.
You may get a late comer Sin .................. if not maybe next year.

Sin_Tiger

With the setup you have now big miles will be a doddle.

There's still a spare bunk here for a mid trip stopover. Any latecomers get the sofa  :icon_mrgreen:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

And spend a few quid on an Airhawk seat cushion  :icon_mrgreen:  but fit it properly using small bungees not the crap straps it comes with, so it doesn't move around. 

I didn't like mine till I sorted the movement, but now I love it.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

The trick to doing big miles is having a backside that's used to it there isn't a seat in the world that covers for that,I/we have done a 1000 miles in  a day and our backsides were the least of our problems but we had been on the road for nearly week and had already ridden 3000 miles that same seat has killed arse after 50 miles because I wasn't match fit.

As for miles per year depends on how many trips to Europe we do, did around 4000 on the continent in 013,most miles done in the UK are done midweek couple of thousand maybe, it's very rare I ever ride a bike of a weekend.

nickjtc

Quote from: Chris Canning on March 14, 2014, 09:05:44 PM
The trick to doing big miles is having a backside that's used to it

+1. But a compatible seat and, perhaps as importantly, good riding ergonomics play a big role. How riders on machines with extreme riding positions can do long distances amazes me. Especially sportbikes with the bars down around the front axle and the cruisers with the bars three feet in the air and the riders feet stuck out like the stirrups in a gynaecologists office.  :icon_eek:

That's why on paper at least our Tigers should offer as comfortable a ride as anything.