News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

RIDE MAGAZINE's Best Bike Survey

Started by Bixxer Bob, March 15, 2014, 08:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Just read it and the winner is........

The Explorer with a score of 90.64%

1200GS came 11th!

Super Ten was 2nd, BMW 1600GT third.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

The BMW guys and gals are probably crying in their cornflakes about now.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

robxxxx

And there was me thinking that BMW and the Peterborough magazine mafia were bound together forever.

threepot

Triumph build bikes for real people,not these Ewan McGregor/Charlie Bloody BOREman wannabees! Nice one :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Chris Canning

:icon_confused:
Quote from: robxxxx on March 15, 2014, 11:23:52 PM
And there was me thinking that BMW and the Peterborough magazine mafia were bound together forever.

Interesting seeing a post like that,having worked for the magazine mafia they ain't bound to anyone they are far too mercenary for that,but interesting that you think otherwise

nickjtc

Quote from: Chris Canning on March 16, 2014, 03:34:34 PM
Interesting seeing a post like that, having worked for the magazine mafia they ain't bound to anyone they are far too mercenary for that, but interesting that you think otherwise

Isn't it a question of he who throws the most advertising pounds/dollars/euros at the magazine gets the most attention...??

Chris Canning

Quote from: nickjtc on March 16, 2014, 06:42:00 PM
Interesting seeing a post like that, having worked for the magazine mafia they ain't bound to anyone they are far too mercenary for that, but interesting that you think otherwise

Isn't it a question of he who throws the most advertising pounds/dollars/euros at the magazine gets the most attention...??

That's a very large NO I can assure you,while I was there I tried to get then to have an open day at the offices because 99% of folk would have a mighty shock at how hard core they are and how well they ride,yea sure at launches they wined and dine and given god knows what but everyone does it so your back to square one and when a bike is crap they'll say so,dig up MCN's write up on the VFR 1200  :icon_rolleyes:Honda.

threepot

I've noticed that MCN get a lot of stick on Youtube for being 'over' complimentary/biased towards Triumph.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

They're talking bollocks then, and have short memories.  Triumph endured years of "nice try, but have another go" during the years of TT600, 955i Daytona etc. Triumph might be getting praise now, but they've earned it.  And the bikes are genuinely as good or better than the opposition, the journos don't need to be biased.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 16, 2014, 10:11:45 PMTriumph endured years of "nice try, but have another go" during the years of TT600, 955i Daytona etc. Triumph might be getting praise now, but they've earned it.  And the bikes are genuinely as good or better than the opposition, the journos don't need to be biased.

+1. I never owned a modern British bike until the Thruxton in 2010. I was amazed at how well built it was and had to keep kicking myself that I did not get a Triumph sooner. Stanley seems to be just as well made (and actually made in England), despite the design and engineering idiosyncrasies.  :icon_wink: The proof of the pud'n will be in the riding, of course.

Sin_Tiger

Interesting seeing a post like that,having worked for the magazine mafia they ain't bound to anyone they are far too mercenary for that,but interesting that you think otherwise

I too felt that about MCN, maybe that's just the way it came across from buying it on the news stand and reading it.

Then on Wednesday I read (in MCN) about BMW's attitude to Kevin Ash's widow after the inquest and my blood boiled. I was ambivalent towards that make but I swear I will never allow myself to be associated with a company that has this sort of disregard for people and mightier than thou attitude. I think they may have seriously under estimated the respect that the motorcycle community at large had for Kevin and will not come out of this well no matter what kind of spin they put on it.
The lack of an editorial comment however speaks volumes to me at least.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Sin_Tiger

Rant over and back OT.

I'm not that surprised really, I think the people who bought one and I was very close to being one of them, just ignored the ho ha and liked the bike, went on and rode it and have been happy, particularly it seems with Triumph's attitude towards sorting out what was perceived by some owners as a problem, the top end noise (they obviously never owned and loved a Steamer).

I suspect the 800 will also slowly become a much better regarded bike in time much like the Steamers in their day.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Quote from: threepot on March 16, 2014, 09:16:44 PM
I've noticed that MCN get a lot of stick on Youtube for being 'over' complimentary/biased towards Triumph.

Funny reading a post like that you wouldn't care explain why MCN fell out with Triumph then would you to the point that they(MCN) had to get their bikes from a dealer to test,the journo's are a hard nosed bunch you have the trade trying blow smoke up their ass all the time the public being just as bad be it them bad mouthing their latest effort in print(with both a budget and schedule to stick too) or the phone never stops ringing with some guy other telling them how he's built a special and it turns out to have painted wheels and anodised bar end  :icon_rolleyes:

The last time I was in BSD(MCN and the mags use them for dyno testing) I'd taken a mate to collect his bike,while I'm there two journo's turn up who I know,do us a favour Chris they say yea right I reply how's F off sound!!! I'd had 3 years of e'm by then and had enough,can you go and pick a V4 Aprillia up it's 2 miles down the road and it's stopped.

Sure enough it had and I get it back to BSD there is then a major inquest do they return it to Aprillia with a note saying it's stopped or in the interests of journalistic integrity do they strip it,they did strip and the motor had blown a core plug and Aprillia hit the roof!!!!,as far as riding gear goes I asked why they didn't wear old gear like the real world and the answer because we get free new stuff and manafacturers get the hump if were not wearing it in the photos,but as I've seen in the past if it's crap they'll say so.

If folk think their bias it's in your head believe me they are absolutely ruthless and have no allegiance to anyone because they are always taking shit from both sides.

robxxxx

The journo's may think they are ruthless Chris, but lets not forget that most of the current crop of bike mags are owned by the Bauer Media Group. And that cant be a good thing. A large company owning most of the bike press. They are in it for the money, and not the few pounds we pay them, but the advertising revenue. So they can write what they like, but my guess is that the editorial staff have to work overtime to "tailor" things.
I was in the Hi-Fi trade for about 20 years and the same thing would happen there. Product gets a good review, and the mags are on the phone trying to sell you ad space.
And just so you don't think I am pointing the finger at BMW, let me give you an example. The 1200 Explorer top end problems. Lots of owners had issues with this. Any mention in MCN? When Triumph finally did the recall, what did MCN do, yea they printed a small column on about page twenty down one corner.
We get the press we deserve.

By the way Chris, the VFR1200, do you mean this review that got 5 stars?

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/bikereviews/searchresults/bike-reviews/honda/honda-vfr1200f-2010-current/

nickjtc

Quote from: robxxxx on March 17, 2014, 12:50:51 AMBy the way Chris, the VFR1200, do you mean this review that got 5 stars?

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/bikereviews/searchresults/bike-reviews/honda/honda-vfr1200f-2010-current/

However, if you read that piece they slag it royally at the same time as giving it 4 or 5 stars. As a punter what is a person supposed to think??

I firmly believe that if a rider really wants a particular bike (and I am as guilty as the next person) they will buy it regardless of what the press says, good or bad.

The motorcycle press over here usually tells it like it is when new models come along. For example "Here is Harley's latest and greatest, but it only has a new paint scheme this year".  But that does not stop the buyer going out to buy them because they have made up their mind that a particular model is the one they absolutely have to buy.

I have to admit I am really drawn to the magazines that no longer do the 'ra ra' over new machines, but have interesting and thought provoking articles on motorcycling esoterica. Cycle Canada springs to mind....

My 22 cents worth. (2 cents + inflation.)  :augie