News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Higher Octane fuel

Started by threepot, March 16, 2014, 12:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

Any of you guys use it? I've been using it on the last 2 runs..I'm convinced it makes a difference. I've tried Mommentum from Tesco,99octane. Bike feels more responsive,seems to run smoother too. I think its worth the extra .20p/gall. There is a road I use quite often, uphill-mountain rd,runs behind Crai Reservoir to Trecastle. I normally use 5th and 6th gear. Today I did it in 6th all the way..no problem. :wheel
95 Super111
96 Tiger

John Stenhouse

It does make a difference, I don't use it here in the Uk but always in France where they're on E10 and my old van doesn't like that stuff. Always runs a treat on the 98 over there and it's not that big a price difference over there too.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

nickjtc

Oooo goody. A fuel thread. Excuse me while I go and get a beverage du jour and some popcorn.  :icon_wink: :icon_wink:

I was convinced that using a higher octane than the manufacturer recommended  was a complete waste of money until I had the '00 VFR800. Switching from regular to premium lowered the consumption by a lot more than the extra cost.... don't know why, because it was fuel injected.

But since Triumph recommends mid-grade here I'm not sure if there is room for improvement.  :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

London_Phil

Just a question re these fuels. I use Shell Ultimate in my Van ( 8 seater people carrier with Nissan 350Z Engine!), and the general feeling from the community is it makes a big difference with higher performance engines, which modern bike engines seem to fall into.
The main interest for Steamers could be that if High Octane fuels have less Ethanol ( and thats an assumption on my part) you may well save on the cost of carb rebuilds and tank leaks??

Sin_Tiger

I've read up a fair bit on this in the past and tend to agree, from my own seat of the pants experience,  with the advice that, unless you have a high performance engine that can exploit it, it's a waste of money.

A 350Z is definitely going to fall into that category  :nod that's going to scare the sh1te out of Picassos and Spinters  :bad

The Roadie felt like it pulled harder from low down in top like Threepot says.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: London_Phil on March 16, 2014, 10:12:53 AM....if High Octane fuels have less Ethanol

Over here it's up to 10% ethanol regardless of the grade of fuel, so we're stuck whichever we use.

rybes

been a while since i used super in me bike but there was a time a few years ago while i was in here in denmark, think april time. if it didnt have super in it the carbs constantly froze.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

threepot

Been out again today,topped up with Mommentum (Tesco-99 octane. BP Premium is 101 !!!) I'm convinced the bike is using less fuel? Feels smoother and more responsive for sure. I agree that it will probably cause less damage to o-rings //fuel system too. For the little difference in price..0.18p gall,I think I'll stick with it. The benefits are worth it :icon_smile:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

John Stenhouse

Certainly wont hurt as much as the bloke in the petrol station yesterday with a GSXR who had just put diesel in his bike  :icon_study:
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

ssevy

I use higher octane in both my bikes, not because it needs it, but because it is the only grade I can get without ethanol. I fill as many gas cans as I own, since the station is about an hour away. All of the mowers, snow blowers, grass trimmers, etc., get it too, because of the long periods between uses. A dash of Star Tron in the cans, and I'm all set.
As for better performance from different brands or octanes while on the road, it may or may not be the placebo effect, but who knows how consistent the fuel is that is delivered to the stations? As long as you don't hear pre-ignition, the octane rating should be fine. Higher octane may contain a better additive package at a given station, and perhaps that is what makes it perform better? I had a Subaru once that would only run on Sunoco 93.5 octane. Any other fuel, even 92 octane, and it would pre-ignite whenever it was under load. We used to have Chevron stations locally, and I liked to use their gas because of their Techron additive, but they are all gone now around my area, so I just buy whatever is cheapest for the cars.
I do think my bikes have better performance with the non-ethanol fuel, but I can't say my mileage is any better. Maybe I compensate for the snappier performance by twisting the throttle more?
Interesting topic in any case! Thanks for bringing it up.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

nickjtc

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/gasoline-octane-myths.html

But one of many articles out there that clarify the way it is. If Triumph says use octane 'x' in a particular machine it is hard to rationalise why you should use octane 'y'.

We always want to do 'better' by our cherished bikes, so I suppose we will never read about someone crowing because they use a lower octane in it than the manufacturer recommends....

Chris Canning

On the way to Mugello in 2012 pulled up at a fuel station in Aosta and they sold Avgas it cost me a fortune but boy did the bike go well I was crying when it had all gone.

threepot

Interesting link there nick. Seems higher octane only benefits high comp engines. Our Tigers fall in to that category eh :icon_confused:  Maybe its the 'placebo' effect :icon_scratch: I will have to do some more comparisons.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

threepot

Quote from: John Stenhouse on March 17, 2014, 12:21:11 AM
Certainly wont hurt as much as the bloke in the petrol station yesterday with a GSXR who had just put diesel in his bike  :icon_study:

It could happen to anyone of us. A friend did it last year in his ER6. Managed to limp to another garage,where the owner lent us a pipe and container. He siphoned as much as he could,and topped up with the PROPER juice. Amazingly,the bike carried on running,and gradually got better as the diesel cleared out.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

NKL

Unless you retune the engine to take advantage of the higher octane you will not get the benefit from it FACT.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100