News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front endy too bendy?

Started by Nick Calne, March 23, 2014, 10:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

A few issues all a once if I may...

I guess we all know that steamer brakes were not brilliant in the first place and the spongy fork travel does not help but recent events have got me thinking that it is time to try and improve what Triumph provided.  Seems like anything could out brake me right now.  Certainly my car would stop in half the time from 70mph.

I'm not the sort of person to ride on the bumper of cars or the sort to go that fast, so it's more of a generally performance thing than any need for race track style performance. 

The brake pads and disks are fine, no air in the system.  It just doesn't do what it might in terms of stopping.  When it does stop the forks feel quite soft.

- Does a 17" front wheel help? I am looking to get a set of my wheels re-rimmed?  Could do this...
- I am going to get a set of new tyres thereafter (probably Tourance nexts on the basis of advice received here, if sticking with 19" front)
- New brake pads?  Is there a type with a bit more bite?
- Braided hoses? Do these actually work?

If I make the brakes, wheels, tyres better will the soft forks negate the improvement?

All thoughts welcome... :ear

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

nickjtc

Depends what you are looking for in terms of braking. I do not think a 17" wheel would make much of a difference if the rest of the system is up to snuff. I have just taken Stanley out for his first ride and noticed that the braking is 'adequate'. Adequate for the way I ride, which is extremely defensively. If you like to ride to the 'edge' then obviously a re-think is in order for your bike. Just my 22 cents worth (2 cents + inflation.)
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Mustang

ebc 'HH' pads with std steamer rotors works good

if you lead with your rear brake first the front end doesn't dive near as bad under braking conditions .

and braking can be improved by upgrading the rotors to ebc or galfer , just depends on what you want to spend .

Sin_Tiger

I'm with Mustang, I've tried a couple of makes that just didn't cut it. EBC's do seem to work well. I've just put a set of Armstrong pads in the tug after rebuilding the calipers, we'll see how they work when I put it through MOT brake test.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rybes

if ya after better brakes, go big and do the three spoke conversion  :nod brilliant brakes plus it gives you a spacin that if you want you could put 6 pots on it. you also get a wider range of tyres to fit. if ya after some uprated springs i have a set in my garage i wont be usin.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

JayDub

Quote from: nickcalne on March 23, 2014, 10:39:13 PM
Braided hoses? Do these actually work?
Yes they most certainly do... especially if you are still running the OEM hoses, my brakes are probably not capable of stoppies, but I've never had a shock whist being 'friskey in the twisties' and the rear locks up quite easily, I'm also running Girly rotors at the front, don't know which pads tho'. the only thing about HH or sintered pads is they wear your discs more rapidly.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: JayDub on March 24, 2014, 05:05:08 PM
Quote from: nickcalne on March 23, 2014, 10:39:13 PM
Braided hoses? Do these actually work?
Yes they most certainly do...

:nod  :nod

Good point, I'd just assumed the original long balloons had all been replaced by now  :icon_redface:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: nickcalne on March 23, 2014, 10:39:13 PMBraided hoses? Do these actually work?

Yes, +1. And since they are now quite reasonably priced why not switch over 'just because'. If nothing else they look nice.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

John Stenhouse

On the later bike they're braided already, check before you buy because I have a feeling the steamers were too
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Sin_Tiger

My 96 did but the 95 still has the hollow bungee chords :icon_scratch:

Mustang

95 steamers were the only ones that did not have braided steel lines

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Mustang on March 25, 2014, 01:57:55 PM
95 steamers were the only ones that did not have braided steel lines

Really  :icon_scratch:

Nick Calne

Just (yes it has taken me a while to get round to it) put some EBC HH's on and the difference is frightening! I can stop!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

JayDub

:ImaPoser Better late than never eh Nick  :icon_wink: