News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel cosumption

Started by JayDub, March 24, 2014, 09:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

I did a MPG check over 159 mls of mixed riding including 30 odd mls 2 up, the rest solo with an average speed of 50 - 60 (with some slight thrashing  :icon_biggrin: ), even a few mls at 80-90, the result was 43 mpg... That seems pretty OK to me, with a more gentle throttle hand I think 50 mpg would be quite easy to achive :augie
Is that what I should expect from an old steamer? and does anyone else have similar consumption figures (and no exaggerating :nono).

threepot

Not done an accurate check,but I think I'm in the low 40's. Some say they can get 50? Thinking of buying a Morgan Carbtune soon. I bench set the carbs when they were off last year,but the bike runs nice. Interested to see how much they are out. When I went to France last June,I was using the same amount of fuel as my mates Z1000SX.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

I was getting around 45 mpg running at 70-80 out in Asia, much more than that and it was nearer 40.

Just got a Morgan Carbtune, very happy,  nicely made and practical to use. I wouldn't be tempted by the cheaper angled jet adjuster, the tip broke off first try. Sent back for credit against the geared version, should have known better  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Possibly a stupid question. Does balancing the carbs actually affect consumption? I thought it was to make for smoooooth running and to make sure each cylinder is not 'fighting' the one next to it??

And in answer to the question, I'm still working through my first tank of fuel so have no idea what the bike's mpg is.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

97tiger885

You should be made aware that two different brands of carbs were used on Steamers.  Some years have Keihins; some years have Mikunis.  Common wisdom is the Keihins get about 10 more miles per gallon but lack the midrange punch.  I have the Mikunis 0n my 97 fuel mileage ranges between 32 and 36 around town depending on the time of year.  Highway is a few miles better.

nickjtc

Quote from: 97tiger885 on March 25, 2014, 04:25:31 AM0n my 97 fuel mileage ranges between 32 and 36 around town depending on the time of year.  Highway is a few miles better.

32-36 miles per US gallon would equate to 40-45 miles per Imperial gallon?
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

Sounds like I'm doing OK then, Mine has Mikunis,
-Niall- Are you talking about the angled adjuster for the mixture adjustment? I adjusted (balanced) mine with just a long screwdriver.
I'm not going to do too much until the weather is a bit better and then I'll pull out and strip the carbs and replace the air filter, and hopefully stop the annoying popping, and also the jerkiness at low speed  :icon_evil:

Sin_Tiger

Yup, the 15 quid one was not good,  I'm hoping the geared 45 quid one will be a bit morerobust than the bendy spring,  typical tight Jock before anybody else says it  :icon_razz:

Bixxer Bob

I have the geared one; very precise, if a little awkward to engage in the screw slot.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 25, 2014, 12:02:48 PM
Yup, the 15 quid one was not good,  I'm hoping the geared 45 quid one will be a bit morerobust than the bendy spring,  typical tight Jock before anybody else says it  :icon_razz:
:ImaPoser didn't even think that Niall.
Is this tool essential for mixture adjustment then? or could I get away with an flexishaft?

threepot

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 25, 2014, 01:01:00 AM
I was getting around 45 mpg running at 70-80 out in Asia, much more than that and it was nearer 40.

Just got a Morgan Carbtune, very happy,  nicely made and practical to use. I wouldn't be tempted by the cheaper angled jet adjuster, the tip broke off first try. Sent back for credit against the geared version, should have known better  :icon_rolleyes:
Buy direct from Morgan. They sell,inc case for £64. I've noticed with the Tiger,a kind of mechanical 'slapping' sound on tick-over,which I have not noticed on the Daytona or Trident. But every now and again it smooths out. :icon_scratch:
I'm wondering if it is the carbs out of balance? Although the bike runs and tick's over nicely. I also read somewhere about tacking up slack on the balancer shaft??
95 Super111
96 Tiger

97tiger885

Quote from: nickjtc on March 25, 2014, 04:41:24 AM
Quote from: 97tiger885 on March 25, 2014, 04:25:31 AM0n my 97 fuel mileage ranges between 32 and 36 around town depending on the time of year.  Highway is a few miles better.

32-36 miles per US gallon would equate to 40-45 miles per Imperial gallon?

The internet converter tells me 32-36 miles per US gallon is 38.5-43 miles per imperial gallon.

coachgeo

:pimp estimates are pointing to a future of 90 to 105mpg with my 97 Tiger :wheel and wont need to drive like  :5moped to get it.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

JayDub

Quote from: coachgeo on March 26, 2014, 04:21:43 AM
:pimp estimates are pointing to a future of 90 to 105mpg with my 97 Tiger :wheel and wont need to drive like  :5moped to get it.
Yes but mine won't run on Derv.