News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ignition pick-up sensor

Started by JayDub, March 28, 2014, 08:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

I'll start at the very beginning... the second day I owned the bike at the beginning of December, I had done about 15 mls and was accelerating up hill whilst over-taking (2 other bikes  :icon_redface: ) , the motor suddenly died - instantaneously -  after a few minutes it started and then has ran OK, It hasn't happened since until.....
Yesterday, after approx 35 mls I stopped at a shop for no more than 15 mins, It started OK and when I took off again it cut out, after farting about starting and dying I was able to ride off for 2-3 mls before it died again this carried on for a further 15-18 mls then after an hours rest carried on home a further 5 mls with no problems.
I also noticed the tacho dropping off at cut-out point.
I have decided that I have experienced the classic symptoms of a dodgy Ignition pick-up sensor!  :qgaraduate
So this post is to:
1/ Confirm my diagnosis. Mustang? - you out there  :icon_wink:
2/ Ask is it an easy repair?
3/ Ask - where does the f*cker live/access etc?
4/ Is there anyone who knows of a 'how to' I can reference?
5/ Any useful tips?
- Thanks in anticipation.

rybes

sounds like the pick up to me. its under the small cover on the right hand side of the engine. easy enough fix altho the pug at the end of the wire can be a mare to get too. all you need to so is unplug the cable, remove the engine cover and take out the 2 bolts that holdthe sensor on. when ya fit it back tgeva youll need to gap the pick up with the rotor arm too 0.6 to 0.8mm. if you send me your email addy by pm ill email you the triumph service manual altho the instructions on how to remove the sensor are a bit, sorry very vague but follow what i said above and all will be well. give yaself about an hour and dont forget either gasket sealant or a new gasket for the cover
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Geoff W

If you cannot find your feeler gauges, a Stanley knife blade gives the correct gap ( at least it worked for me).
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

97tiger885

You might want to use some kind of sealant around the rubber plug that the wire runs thru.  I think the manual mentions it.  I didn't bother and have a very slight leak there.

This sensor is behind the round cover on the front brake side of the engine under the head.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Geoff W on March 28, 2014, 10:05:04 PM
If you cannot find your feeler gauges, a Stanley knife blade gives the correct gap ( at least it worked for me).

Handy tip Geoff  :thumbsup

Have a look at the cables going into the connector.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

matchbook cover works perfect for on the side of the road repairs , which is simpler to procure in East Bumfuck , Nowhereville

JayDub

Thanks fella's, I think I can approach the task with confidence now, I probably would have sealed the grommet anyway, after all I'm used to working on old Japanese bikes :icon_rolleyes:

ssevy

If that doesn't cure it, double check to be sure you don't have a loose battery connection. You didn't mention whether it cranked okay after dying, but when I bought mine last summer, I dropped the battery in it, got to talking with the previous owner while I was tightening the cables, and didn't get one tight enough. Started fine and off down the road I went, only to have it quit and then nothing when I hit the starter. Of course, the first thing I checked was the battery, and there was the loose cable. Probably not the problem, but just in case I thought it worth a mention.
I used some silicone RV sealant on that wire and plug on my Legend, as those wires are pretty thin, and they like to slide out of that rubber collar.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Bixxer Bob

:icon_redface:   :iagree.  I did this once just after I bought the old girl.  Put the battery back went for lunch and forgot to tighten the cables. Rode to the local Honda shop and couldn't start it for the ride home.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

threepot

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 31, 2014, 10:03:37 AM
:icon_redface:   :iagree.  I did this once just after I bought the old girl.  Put the battery back went for lunch and forgot to tighten the cables. Rode to the local Honda shop and couldn't start it for the ride home.

A Honda shop...Of all places!! :augie
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Strangely enough I've just come into the house from the 'garage' after swapping the battery for the one I had on charge, the connections were OK, and I know they are tight now too.  It was turning over OK, and firing, but wouldn't run.  I think Bob might like to have fun like me - by sitting outside a Honda shop and laughing at all the customers :icon_lol: I bet he doesn't do it any more now though  :icon_redface:

Bixxer Bob

It was more to do with it being where I buy my Blackbird spares and also where I bought my Girly - which I got cheap because they didn't want it cluttering up the showroom. She wasn't even on my shopping list..... :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JayDub

Job done! with no real (see my other post entitled WTF!!! in steamers) problems, the air gap I set to 0.7, on the old sensor was 1.2 as opposed to the recommended 0.6 - 0.8.
I was surprised to see the misaligned casing faces though, not what I've come to expect from Triumph, and the gasket goo indicates a previous visitor - does this mean a sprag clutch repair I wonder...