News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wilbers (linear spring rate) OR HyperPro (progressive spring) for Girly...?

Started by stopwatch1, March 29, 2014, 08:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopwatch1

Okay. I'm gonna pull the trigger on a new shock for the rear of my 2001 Tiger and I'm trying to decide between a Wilbers or a HyperPro. My load on the bike's suspension can vary from 190lbs to as much as300lbs. Wilbers uses a single rate (linear) spring and HyperPro uses a progressive spring. If the Wilbers is sprung for the correct sag when I'm at my lightest (no luggage or passenger) then I can increase the preload when I carry more weight and the shock should react the same throughout it's preload adjustability range. If I go with the HyperPro and I carry a heavier load then it's progressive spring will immediately compress through it's first (softer) stage and only the firm stage will be in use.
Keeping in mind the Girly is one of the few "modern" bikes that have no linkage for the rear shock... it mounts directly to the swingarm. I've been told the shock linkage most bikes have gives the shock a "rising rate" feature regardless of the type of spring it has. Therefore, with the Girly's shock being mounted directly to the swingarm and having no linkage to provide any rising rate action, should I go with the HyperPro with the progressive spring?   
I've already had CompuTrac install emulators and springs in my forks and they recommended and installed single rate (linear) springs.

What are the opinions out there?
Thanks...

cba191

I spent about an hour on the phone ordering from Ted at the Beemer shop. (great guy btw). He sold me on the wilbers. But I did order the progressive front springs to match. I haven't had a chance to test it out though. Still need to install the springs and the new compufire reg. 
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

Chris Canning

Well you've lost me linear v progressive  :icon_scratch:,I' be more concerned about a remote preload and combined or separate compression and rebound,one of the things I don't go into is the drama I have with my Ohlins because I want it set up in a certain so I can ride two with a pile of gear and still get it to steer like a mini moto and ride it as such,but when quoting your weight etc I'd always err in the heavy side and go for a stiffer shock,out of the two honestly there's nothing in it I guess I'd go with the Wilbers as I have them on my K but if anyone turned up and said the same about Hyperpro I'd agree with them just as easy.

What did make laugh calling a 955 tiger a modern day bike  :icon_lol: it might have been 15 years ago!!,one of the major hassles I've had getting my Ohlins as I want is because there isn't a linkage system and  my friend who has been sorting my shock out was very ungracious to Triumph something along the lines of they hadn't got an Fffing clue what they were doing with the shock and swing arm ratio and hard to argue as they have distanced themselves over the years with new linkages,and for me to get mine how I want I have a colossal spring on the shock.

stopwatch1

Yeah Chris, I agree with you on the Tiger. If you didn't notice, I put modern in parenthesis in my original post. The Tiger 955 is definitely a few years behind many modern bikes in the suspension department. Obviously, if one can afford to have remote adjustable preload, especially on a 955 Tiger where access with a spanner is difficult, it's a good idea.  Didn't mean to lose you on the linear (straight rate) spring verses a progressive spring, but that's really the only aspect to an aftermarket shock I was trying to get opinions on. The main downside I see to a progressive spring is any additional weight over and above what you had the shock sprung for initially (ie. camping gear, passenger, etc.) will send the spring past the softer first stage and into the stiffer second stage. Also, any increase of preload will start getting you closer to the stiffer stage and effectively bypassing the softer stage which seems to negate having a progressive spring to begin with.

Thanks for all opinions so far... anyone else?

JTT

I'll always go straight rate if I can.  Progressive springs just add one more variable that complicates tuning. 
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

chairhead

I've got a Wilbers on the outfit, I don't know what type spring it is but it works great for me, if I had my time again I would go for the remote preload, that said I don't know if I'd get as much preload adjustment with the remote as I do when its done manually, something I've gotten very good at when changing it back to a solo, but with the arrival of my Black 04 Girly, it something I wont have to do anymore  :nod.

And what Chris said is right, when you're asked for your weight, pillion weight etc. always say heavier than you are, it'll be a real pain in the arse if you have to send the shock back and wait til a higher rate spring is fitted.

Most Wilbers shocks are custom made, you are having it built to your spec and you are paying a fair amount of Wonga for it, Wilbers will extend the preload hose if you want so you can have it just about anywhere, sure you may have to pay a few shekels more but it'll be worth it in the long run.

Good luck with your choice  :icon_wink:
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel