News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Weird overheating issue, intermittent

Started by tntmo, March 31, 2014, 06:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tntmo

I ordered all the stuff to do the head gasket. 

The radiator seems to flow well when I hook it up to the garage sink, but will probably do a vinegar soak on it just to make sure. 

Mustang

did you get a tube of hylomar to reseal the cylinder liner bases ?

you WILL need it .

tntmo

Head gasket replaced, flushed out the radiator with vinegar a few times, everything is back in one piece and 30 mile test ride is good.  Now I have to keep riding it and see.  The last few times it ran fine at first also, so I am not ready to trust this bike.

tntmo

I'm up to 160 miles on the bike, working well so far. 

Sin_Tiger

Fingers crossed  :augie I know it's a pain but I recommend you retorque the head before doping much more than 500 miles.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

tntmo

So, when you suggest to re-torque the heads.....does that mean to break the bolts loose and then do the three sequence torque again?

That is a PITA, but if there is something out there that says that doing it will be helpful, I guess it's in my best interest.

Mustang

just verify the torque at 500 miles especially since your bike has already required a head gasket job .
don't loosen them

if the torque is still at spec leave em' be
before you put the head back on ,you did reseal the cylinder bases with hylomar sealant , right ?

tntmo

How would you verify the torque, when the procedure is to torque them in two stages, then turn them 90 degrees beyond that? 

PeteH

Had the head done on my 885i a few years back, never had it re torqued and its been fine. A bit strange this torque then 90 degree stuff, but I did the head on my wife's saxo a bit back using the same method tho to about 140 degrees on final...been fine so far.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

tntmo

I've got about 1,000 miles on the Tiger at this point, not bad considering I've been deployed a few weeks.  It's been running good, no overheating and no coolant loss.  Even stays in the middle of the temp gauge in traffic. 

I'm getting to the point where I feel like I can trust the bike again, which I hadn't been able to do for a while.

:wheel