News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain only replacement?

Started by 97tiger885, April 02, 2014, 12:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

The chain on the 97 is done.  It is too loose with the  eccentrics adjusted to the max.   All I need is another 4000 miles.

How stupid is it to replace only the chain with a rear sprocket that looks like this (after 23000 miles)?

PeteH

If the rear sprockets that bad what's the front look like ? Probably toothless.... If your planning on scrapping the bike in 4k then just put a chain on.....if selling then chain and both sprockets.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

nickjtc

Quote from: 97tiger885 on April 02, 2014, 12:27:33 AMHow stupid is it to replace only the chain with a rear sprocket that looks like this (after 23000 miles)?

For you as seller... not stupid at all, because you are saving money. (If saving money is the point of the exercise) But if you put the bike up for sale and can say 'new chain and sprockets' it is a bargaining chip in your favour.

As Pete says... what does the front sprocket look like? If it is as worn or more so you might not get 4000 miles out of the combination anyway and then have to replace chain and sprockets because the chain has been buggered up.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Mustang

use the trident wheel for now should swap right in

97tiger885

Quote from: Mustang on April 02, 2014, 02:02:36 AM
use the trident wheel for now should swap right in

I will take a look at the front sprocket tomorrow.

Interesting. 

My plan is to go the other way, to transfer a large portion of the Tiger over to the Trident to make it more of a scrambler. 

I will try the Trident wheel.

Can I replace the worn out  Tiger front sprocket with the Trident front sprocket until I get the Trident running?

I thought about using the Trident chain but I believe it to be 112 links.  Maybe I will buy a decent 114 link chain and use it with the Trident sprockets.  Then I will reduce it to 112 and use it on the Trident when that sprocket/chain set wears out.

We will see how this plays out.

Thanks for the advice.

Mustang

I'm pretty sure the eccentrics will adjust enough to use the 112 link chain with a 48 tooth
I did it on mommas tiger once  :icon_mrgreen:

the tridents got a 46 tooth rear sprocket there's your two tooth difference .

ssevy

If the entire sprockets/chain set is interchangeable from the Tiger to the Trident, why not buy the whole shebang, run it on the Tiger, then reinstall it on the Trident? As you said, easy enough to pull out a link or two if necessary.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

97tiger885

Quote from: ssevy on April 02, 2014, 04:09:42 AM
If the entire sprockets/chain set is interchangeable from the Tiger to the Trident, why not buy the whole shebang, run it on the Tiger, then reinstall it on the Trident? As you said, easy enough to pull out a link or two if necessary.

There is no good reason not to do this.

I want to get the Tiger on the road ASAP.  I don't want to order parts, wait for parts, find out the parts won't work, return parts and reorder parts.  I am being lazy and impatient.

Thanks for the help.

ram33

cant you just take one link out of the chain ?
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

97tiger885

nickjtc

Quote from: 97tiger885 on April 03, 2014, 04:41:51 AM
Quote from: ram33 on April 02, 2014, 05:39:47 PM
cant you just take one link out of the chain ?
Can I?

Of course you can. Whether it's a good idea though....... the system is already worn to the limit and if you ask it to function adequately for another 4,000 miles who knows what might happen. I picture a broken chain flailing around.......
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

:iagree  A friend had his chain break on his 900 Trophy and it trashed the rear of his gearbox casing.  He was lucky not to have lost his left foot or had it lock the back wheel.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

:bug_eye no way would i have that on my bike
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

97tiger885

Ok.  Message received.  The 97 is off the road.