News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger suspension to Trident

Started by 97tiger885, April 08, 2014, 05:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

The 97 is being decommissioned.  This is its present state:

That is the Trident rear wheel.

I know the wheels,  yokes and handlebar are going to the Trident.  I hope to move the instruments and dash over also.  I am undecided on the lights.

First, though, is the suspension issue.  I would like to increase ground clearance on the Trident.  My options are as follows for the front:

1.  Wheel only

I probably have to make an adapter for the fender. 

2.  Entire Tiger front end.

The would increase clearance but too much.  How much of the top of the fork can extend thru the yokes and how much does this lower the front?  Front wheel fits with no mods.  Get Tiger fork legs.

3.  Put Trident tubes on Tiger fork legs, drop tubes 22mm to flush with yokes.  No mods on wheel.  Slight increase in clearance by changing to 19 in wheel and dropping tubes.  Get Tiger fork legs.

Rear

1.  Wheel only.  Go from 18 to 17 inch.

2.  Put Tiger shock on Trident and change ellipiticals.   Get shock with reservoir.  Might have to replace Trident linkage with Tiger linkage.  Don't know if that is easy swap.

3.  Find links for Trident linkage that will increase clearance.

4.  Find links for Tiger linkage that will decrease clearance.

Any thoughts?

Mustang

What exactly are you trying to accomplish ?

everything is interchangeable .............................

if you are trying to make a trident tiger just swap the bodywork from the trident to the tiger
the trident engine will bolt right into the tiger frame and vice versa
the entire suspension front and rear including swingarm will swap into the trident
?????????????????????
I'm confused on what you are trying to accomplish.....................

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

97tiger885

Yeah, that was a bit dense.

Can I raise the ground clearance on the Trident just a bit using the parts I have between the two mcs?

I want to turn the Trident into a better gravel road bike.  Its major shortcoming is ground clearance. I want to increase ground clearance but not increase it to that of a Tiger.  If using the full Tiger suspension is the only practical choice, then  that is what I will do.  I am hoping to mix what I have between the Trident and Tiger to get to a satisfactory ground clearance better than the a stock Trident but not to the height of the stock Tiger.

My very rough measurents put the Trident  around 7 inches between the sump and ground without load.  The K100 has about 8 and I wish it had a little more.

Is there an easy and cheap way to do that effectively?

Mustang

Use the tiger front end and pull the tubes up in the yokes by the amount you want to lessen height by .
I'm guessing somewhere around an inch to 1 1/2

on the rear again use the tiger stuff and just flip the eccentrics 180 degrees which will drop the rear more than an inch
obviously you are going to want the 17 inch rim .
the trident sprocket will bolt right onto the carrier for tiger , for that matter the trident carrier will probably drop right
in the tiger wheel
you'll be surprised at how nicely it drops . might be just what you want .
The wifes 95 is set up this way and it's a big change from stock tigger config .

is the trident a 900 ?
it should have mo' bettah giddy up than the steamer slug .

97tiger885

Quote from: Mustang on April 09, 2014, 11:16:29 PM
Use the tiger front end and pull the tubes up in the yokes by the amount you want to lessen height by .
I'm guessing somewhere around an inch to 1 1/2

on the rear again use the tiger stuff and just flip the eccentrics 180 degrees which will drop the rear more than an inch
obviously you are going to want the 17 inch rim .
the trident sprocket will bolt right onto the carrier for tiger , for that matter the trident carrier will probably drop right
in the tiger wheel
you'll be surprised at how nicely it drops . might be just what you want .
The wifes 95 is set up this way and it's a big change from stock tigger config .

is the trident a 900 ?
it should have mo' bettah giddy up than the steamer slug .

Great.  I wasnt sure about pulling the forks that far thru.  Looks like the whole Tiger suspension is the way to go.

The Tiger wheel is attached with the Trident sprocket.  Direct bolt on; no change to chain.  I havent done the final adjustment yet.

Any reason to prefer one of the axles over the other?  The Tiger axle has hexagon heads whereas the Trident has allen heads.  Two allen keys are easier to carry than sockets and wrenches.

Does reversing the eccentrics have any effect on  chain wear, rub strip wear or rub block wear?

Yes, it is the 900.  I probably will lower the gearing when the chain and sprockets wear out.

Finally, are the carbs for the Trident and Tiger the same internally?  I am thinking about using the Tiger carbs in place of the Trident carbs.  The gas mileage seems low on the Trident.  I dont know if the Trident carbs are worn or if the PO made changes.

Mustang

Quote from: 97tiger885 on April 10, 2014, 03:30:20 AM

Any reason to prefer one of the axles over the other?  The Tiger axle has hexagon heads whereas the Trident has allen heads.  Two allen keys are easier to carry than sockets and wrenches.
the axles are the same same doesn't matter which one you use

QuoteDoes reversing the eccentrics have any effect on  chain wear, rub strip wear or rub block wear?
causes a little bit xtra wear on the lower rub strip , not enough to be concerned with

QuoteFinally, are the carbs for the Trident and Tiger the same internally?  I am thinking about using the Tiger carbs in place of the Trident carbs.  The gas mileage seems low on the Trident.  I dont know if the Trident carbs are worn or if the PO made changes.
the tiger carbs will bolt right on but don't hope for improved mileage .
the trident has a higher redline , different cam profiles and a different igniter box with different parameters than the tiger . the tridents xtra giddy up has to come from somewhere
so doubtful you will improve its mileage especially once you drop the gearing .

97tiger885

QuoteFinally, are the carbs for the Trident and Tiger the same internally?  I am thinking about using the Tiger carbs in place of the Trident carbs.  The gas mileage seems low on the Trident.  I dont know if the Trident carbs are worn or if the PO made changes.
the tiger carbs will bolt right on but don't hope for improved mileage .
the trident has a higher redline , different cam profiles and a different igniter box with different parameters than the tiger . the tridents xtra giddy up has to come from somewhere
so doubtful you will improve its mileage especially once you drop the gearing .

[/quote]

I was hoping you wouldn't say that.

Still, guys running Tridents claim at least 5 mpg more than I am getting.  Of course, guys running Mikuni Tigers and 94 F150s claim better mpg too, with more aggressive driving.

I really, really do not want to deal with the Tiger plastic stretch but I might have to put the Tiger tank on for the extra fuel.  If I do that I am going to have someone make another tank mount bracket, so that I can redrill the holes.  Then the tank should mount directly.

threepot

I had a Trident 900. I think Triumph should have used that spec engine in the Tiger :icon_scratch: Just as flexible,and pulled strongly to over 130mph :bad As for mpg,high 30's to low 40's. I put a set of Laser silencers on it. Sold it to my mate's brother who had to have it for the noise it made  :icon_lol:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

97tiger885

Quote from: threepot on April 10, 2014, 04:56:23 PM
I had a Trident 900. I think Triumph should have used that spec engine in the Tiger :icon_scratch: Just as flexible,and pulled strongly to over 130mph :bad As for mpg,high 30's to low 40's. I put a set of Laser silencers on it. Sold it to my mate's brother who had to have it for the noise it made  :icon_lol:

The one drawback with the Trident is first gear is rather high.  I thought the Tiger first gear needed lowering.  There were times when I wanted the Tiger chugging along at 4 mph.  You needed to slip the clutch to do that.