News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The yoke's on me

Started by 97tiger885, April 09, 2014, 10:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

I need to remove the triple tree.  I need two thin wrenches for the adjuster nuts.  Anyone know what size these are and who is likely to sell them?  I dont think I own a micrometer(?).

The other problem is dealing with the key lock.  I will need to remove both key locks to transfer the yokes.  The locks have a security screw of some sort?  I need to drill those out and replace them?  How delicate is that?

97tiger885

The key problem looks to be solved.  After removing the forks, I took another look.  Turns out the harness out of the key assembly is separate from the main harness.  Disconnect and go. 

97tiger885

Now, the joke really is on me.  Read Mustang's thread on the steering head.  Wish I had gone there first.  My initial report of wrench size was wrong.    Mustang is correct.  Wrench size is 38 mm.  Now I need new wrenches.

Sin_Tiger

Looks like you answered your own question, useful for others though. I tried but couldn't quite squeeze my verniers in.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

97tiger885

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 18, 2014, 11:34:45 AM
Looks like you answered your own question, useful for others though. I tried but couldn't quite squeeze my verniers in.

These worked.  The thickness is fine but the width should be a little less.  I probably will grind a bit off each side.

Only because the wrench is a 36/40mm combo.   40 is close enough.

97tiger885

Time to put the Tiger yokes on.  A shop did the bottom bearing for me.  What is the procedure for the bottom yoke locknut?  Manual says 40Nm. I have no 38 mm socket.  How do I make sure it is tight enough, but not overtight?

It has been a long, long time since I did this; so, I have no idea what the correct feel is.

Mustang

tight  but not so much that it can't freely move with a finger as a pusher / puller

that'll be in the ballpark

97tiger885

97tiger885

Turns out that 38 mm and 1 1/2 inch are very close.  Getting a 1 1/2 inch socket is easy.

1 1/2 inch =  38.1 mm.

The bad news is that you need a very deep well socket to fit over the bottom yoke spindle.  That is not so easy to find.

Sin_Tiger

Try for a box spanner, that size is near some wheel bearing retaining nut sizes where you need the depth of a box.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

97tiger885

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 01, 2014, 12:10:02 AM
Try for a box spanner, that size is near some wheel bearing retaining nut sizes where you need the depth of a box.

"Box spanner." New term for me.  So, what I call a spark plug wrench is a type of box spanner.   Cool.  And a socket on the other end allows me to use a torque wrench.  Very nice.  Let me see if I can find one at a decent price.

Mustang

their tyres and colours make my spell checker go bat shit too! :ImaPoser

and your pants isn't your  trousers either............................... :augie

97tiger885

Turns out a crows foot wrench is one tool for the job.

Sin_Tiger

I forgot about that option, good if you can get it in.

I also forgot about the Atlantic divide, I think you call them "Tube Wrench's"?

Watch it Mustang or I'll send you a Haggis  :icon_razz:

Mustang