News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bad at Breaking chain

Started by 97tiger885, April 25, 2014, 04:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

The swing arm, shock linkage and shock from the Tiger are on the Trident.  Frustration level reached 7.5. 

Being a first rate mechanic, I did this:

Rather than undo everything, I am breaking the chain.  Without breaking the rivet pin, I hope.  My record is dubious.  I have the MotionPro kit.

My question is: Does it matter what link I break?  Is it better to break the master link?

My backup plan is a grinding wheel.  Took the Tiger chain off with that.  Very satisfying.  But I would prefer to improve to acceptable with a chain breaker.

JayDub

I would play it safe and pop the master link and renew it, I have an acquaintance who no longer has much of a calf muscle due to throwing a chain... would it be that much trouble to pull the swing-arm out again?

97tiger885

Quote from: JayDub on April 25, 2014, 02:51:58 PM
I would play it safe and pop the master link and renew it, I have an acquaintance who no longer has much of a calf muscle due to throwing a chain... would it be that much trouble to pull the swing-arm out again?

Probably not.  I don't know if I can move the swingarm enough to get the chain around without taking bolts off for the shock linkage.  Good sense will probably prevail; I probably will move the swing arm.