News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tires and Brakes and Springs, OH MY!

Started by Motogarden, March 22, 2005, 09:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motogarden

Hi All

I am a proud ownder of an 04 Tiger which of course I love.  

I've been reading all I can on this list and still have a few Q's I have not found answers for...

I got it with about 6000 miles and I THINK it still has the OEM tires on it (Metzler Tourance?).  These tires are great for the road but I was just wanting to pic ya'lls brains on other tires that are good for the road but also maybe a bit more dirt worthy.  Of the Tourances (in my opinion) are made for about 90% road riding, what tires do people like with a bias toward about 80% road and 20% off road?  I know tires are a personal thing, but what's your opinion?

Also, I think the front brakes could use a little more oomph.  Anyone have luck changing pads to something a bit more "bitey?"  I've been riding My Ducati Monster with Superbike MC (and Aprilia Falco)  and have become very spoiled when it comes to braking.  I've even considered changing out the front MC for a Brembo unit from my Aprilia just to see if it works better (if I can fit it).  Anyone have much luck doing silly stuff like this?  What about getting some steel brake lines for the Tiger?  The little OEM lines look quite thin which leads me to believe they MAY be kevlar which would make swapping them with steel kinda moot I think...

Lastly, As we all know the front is a bit squishy.  I was told changing the oil to the next thicker viscosity should help.  I only weigh 160 pounds but ride fairly aggressively and do plan on having a pillion from time to time and so would love a bit less "frontal bounce!"  Anyone have much luck with Touratech's Progressive Springs?  If I got springs, would I want to change springs AND thicken the oil or just do one or the other?  Are there any good websites which describe how to do these things?  I have not received my shop manual yet.

What about a rear mudguard (wheel hugger) that does not cost $140.  Do any ones from other bikes fit/interchange onto an 04 Tiger?

Thanks!  Ride Well, Ride Long, Ride Hard...

Gabriel
***Bikes are LIFE  Cars are OBSTACLES***

Well........

For tyres, you could look at the Pirelli MT90 A/T (All Terrain) OR for really "off-road" the Continental TCK80 (used a lot by the BMW "GS" crowd).

For brakes, I think anything more agressive will have the forks diving like a U boat.

For forks, I've heard good things about 15W oil and Hagon springs but haven't tried either myself.

drunkwombat955

Take the tiger out the bush with a tyre gauge and a bicycle pump. Find a bit of dirt you are happy with and try lowering pressures 5 psi at a time to see what you like. I got 20 psi each end on a combination of hard packed clay with occasional sand and loose rock. It makes a big difference. If you make your rides short and go out with less than half a tank you'll get the big girl really going on the dirt.
There\'s a fine line between clever and stupid- SPINAL TAP.

TigerKen

Cont TKC80's are great off road, and really good on road as well. I was pleasantly suprised.

I've got WP springs, Race Tech gold valves, and WP 10wt fork oil. The springs and oil firmed things up nicely, and the Race Tech stuff controls the dampning a whole lot better.

I agree with the general concensus on the brakes. I wouldn't want the fronts to be any stronger than they already are.

Chris Canning

Re the front forks,there are several options for aftermarket springs i'ved used Ohlins but there are plenty of others just as good.

There isn't a drain plug on the forks,undo the fork tops then take the legs out and drain them measure what came out and replace the same qantity.

If you running an 04 drop the forks through the yokes 8-10 mil it'll quicken the steering up,i've read else where 19mm but thats asking for real trouble if you start to push the bike real hard,your going to end up with the tank slapper from hell!!!

Oil?, i went to 15wt which stiffens the front alot,it's a little odd when been used to the front diveing like a sub!!! and does take a little getting used to!!

Brakes? You'll have to do your own R+D unless you can find another Triumph caliper of a sports model.

I use aftermarket brakes on mine but as the bike is has a 17" wheel with an 010 on it, i can use the brakes without any fear of the tyre going belly up.

Chris

Motogarden

Hey

Thanks for all the commemts/info.

For now I'm gonna put Dunlop D607's for a compromise as they claim to be about 80%/20% orientated for street.  I did not really buy my tiger for off road (that's what my Husaberg FE 600's for!) but will be going to a rally in California.

http://rawhyde-offroad.com/cal_adventure_rally.html

and thought I might take her off road a bit to see what she can do.

It's BMW orientated but rally does not  matter what ya got.

I hope to seee some of you all there.  I'll be the guy on the silver Tiger :-)

Ride Often

Gabriel
***Bikes are LIFE  Cars are OBSTACLES***

tomla

don't stiffen up the front without addressing the rear...unless you're 150#, the rear is undersprung already, and stiffer springs in the front just make it more unbalanced...ohlins, or hagon if $ is tight...