News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Started by aeow, May 07, 2014, 10:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeow

Sin_Tiger

Bixxer is waiting in the wings for a free beer  :new_all_coholic
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

As I started to read this I was thinking bad charging system for reasons I've explained many times on here already; right up to the point where you said the battery lead melted  :bug_eye

First things first, how on earth did that happen without first blowing the main 30A fuse?

Once you know why it did that and fix it so it doesn't happen again then you can worry about the rest. Right now, if you haven't sorted that problem - and bearing in mind the battery is immediately behind a plastic tank full of fuel - you could easily have a raging inferno on your hands.

We'll make a start on the other stuff once that's fixed :icon_wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

aeow

v8er6.6

I've had a battery terminal melt off before, the terminal clamp had a bad/loose connection causing it to spark, which in turn, melted the terminal. My money is on that being the cause of the problems.

aeow

Quote from: v8er6.6 on May 08, 2014, 10:57:22 PM
I've had a battery terminal melt off before, the terminal clamp had a bad/loose connection causing it to spark, which in turn, melted the terminal. My money is on that being the cause of the problems.
The screw just wasn't tightened? If so, I'm afraid it's not that straightforward for me.

Bixxer Bob

Given that there's no fuses blown or obvious problems - and believe me, they would be obvious - I'd have a look at the underside of your seat.  I'm guessing one of the metal parts isn't sitting right and made contact with your battery positive terminal. 

The fact that it ran ok for 1000 miles then started again sounds like it's the same problem.  Make sure your battery red terminal is properly protected from anything rubbing it; wrap it in layers of gaffer tape for now.  If the problem goes away, you know what to fix.

The fact that it was the negative end that melted backs up something big like the seat shorting the positive because normally it would be the red that got hot.  In this case the negative lead was the greatest resistance so got hot.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...