News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

weaving at speed

Started by Geoff W, May 12, 2014, 09:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff W

I have just returned from a Belfast/Ballymoney trip with my daughter. With my daughter (22 years old) and a top box as well as two soft panniers, none heavily loaded, on the Steamer we had a definite weave at 80-90 mph on the motorway, and a quite frightening weave if taking any bends at over 70 mph.
I have a Hagon shock fitted which has done about 15-17k miles, and Hagon progressive springs , which have done approx 35k miles. Head bearings and swingarm bearings are original, but no obvious signs of wear. I suspect that the rear spring could do with more compression, as it felt soft with two up. How much do you tweak it to make a difference 1/2 a turn or 2 turns ? Any ideas gratefully accepted.
We did a trip around Scotland last year with similar load and had no weave except at well over 90 mph on bends, and I don't do that very often with my daughter on the back.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Mustang

tires ,or tyres if you prefer , can contribute to the steamer luggage weave also .
with different brands / tread patterns causing the weave at vary speeds respectively .
all 3 of my steamers when carrying all three pcs. of luggage will get the dance going at around a ton .
tigger 4 with the hack is the only stable at speed ......but it has other quirks to deal with  :ImaPoser
by the steamers design the front wheel is very light and loading the rear makes things worse .

when loaded two up try a half dozen more turns of preload on the rear .
and up the compression setting , if it gets stiff as a brick , you might have gone too far  :ImaPoser
it's trial and error my friend ..........................

Sin_Tiger

Think it's time to rebuild your shock mate. When did you last change the fork oil? (Although I'm pretty sure it's the back end wagging the dog)

If you are on Annakee's check for uneven wear, although again it's less that than the back.

Notice any difference after you filled the tank  :nod
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ned37

make yer daughter ride on the tank, like when she was 3. :thumbsup
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

nickjtc

I must be getting old. Can't even imagine doing more than about 70mph any more. Don't rev the engine more than 5,000rpm ever. I suppose that is what happens when you become a ghof. :icon_confused:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"