News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Reflective helmet stickers law in France

Started by chinchliffe, May 20, 2014, 08:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chinchliffe

Anyone travelling to France by motorcycle now needs reflective helmet stickers of a specific size (Google it). Euro 130 fine for non compliance !! We are going on Staurday and thought that we had everything planned until one of the lads spotted it on the web. They are available on ebay from £3.95. You have been warned !!

Chris

nickjtc

Very interesting. What's next... armoured underwear?? :icon_lol:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

PeteH

Solvent or water based glue ? How do solvents affect today's helmets ? I don't put anything on my lids that didn't come with them...
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: PeteH on May 21, 2014, 12:39:50 AM
Solvent or water based glue ? How do solvents affect today's helmets ? I don't put anything on my lids that didn't come with them...

:iagree I would only put it on if it was supplied by the helmet maker.

Thanks for the heads up but I'm wondering if this is another of those French laws that hasn't actually been ratified yet, like the reflective patches on the back of jackets.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

iansoady

Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

NKL

Not this shit again, a Shark helmet I bought for racing several years ago came with the stickers in the box but my Shoei didn't, and I certainly wont be putting any on my Shoei Hornet, mainly because I don't want to (I'm not fucking up my lid just to ride through France now and again) and also there is no where to put one on the front.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

HockleyBoy

Had a look elsewhere and it appears that this is an old law introduced in the 70s but never really enforced. It has come up again because in a few areas the local police have found enforcing it to be a nice way of raising a few euros. Seems to be mostly around Paris.

I dont think I will bother wrecking my Arai for my summer trip.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

nickjtc

We do not have 'reflective regulations' here, either for helmets or gear. The outfit I used to instruct with gave course graduates reflective stickers as a matter of course.

At risk of being the only yea-sayer here I automatically put reflective tape on any helmet that I buy. Never had a problem with it affecting the finish, but then again it stays on until I get rid of the helmet.

PeteH

Its not the finnish of the helmet that's a problem, more what the adhesive does and how it could potentially degrade the structure of the helmet shell, maybe more info from the makers would be handy....sorry if I'm coming over all health n safety  :icon_lol:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Sin_Tiger

Pete - HSE  :icon_scratch: Seriously you're quite right, it's a well recognised issue of certain plastics reacting with solvents in adhesives. Even some marker pens contain Xylene and Toluene affect them. In the O&G industries, if there are unauthorised stickers or marking on a safety helmet it gets scrapped.

Now back to the French, even French bikers (on other forums) think the legislation regarding bikes is generally, ill considered & stupid. I'm actually a little surprised we don't have any French members on this forum.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

aeronca

Quote from: nickjtc on May 23, 2014, 07:43:44 PM
We do not have 'reflective regulations' here, either for helmets or gear. The outfit I used to instruct with gave course graduates reflective stickers as a matter of course.

At risk of being the only yea-sayer here I automatically put reflective tape on any helmet that I buy. Never had a problem with it affecting the finish, but then again it stays on until I get rid of the helmet.

:iagree I use it as well with no problems, but then again - to each his own.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

nickjtc

Quote from: aeronca on May 25, 2014, 12:39:58 PM
to each his own.

Precisely. Choice is all, which is why the cruiser types hereabouts ride in full leather, but with an ashtray on their heads, and the squids wear a $1000 Valentino Rossi replica helmet and shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops.  :icon_confused: