News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Head off help

Started by 97tiger885, June 12, 2014, 10:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

Quote from: ram33 on June 17, 2014, 06:57:59 PM
you only need a valve spring compressor to do it yourself
i would also change the valve seals while its stripped for peace of mind
make sure the springs are returned the right way round (tight coils down)

Removing the valves looks easy enough.  Cleaning is my worry.  I have no  experience there and I don't know anyone who does. 

Removing the pistons is my worry.  Not sure how to mark them after removal.

I will start all that in a day or two.

Mustang

Quote from: 97tiger885 on June 18, 2014, 01:51:11 AM

Removing the pistons is my worry.  Not sure how to mark them after removal.

I will start all that in a day or two.
paint pen on the top of the piston..... inside

ram33

you mean to degrease it?
you could try the dishwasher?
most people just use elbow grease and a blunt scraper. as long as you dont damage the gasket faces you should be fine
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

97tiger885

Quote from: ram33 on June 18, 2014, 08:40:56 PM
you mean to degrease it?
you could try the dishwasher?
most people just use elbow grease and a blunt scraper. as long as you dont damage the gasket faces you should be fine

I will have to do some research.  Maybe I will do it.

97tiger885

I started the cleaning with the gasket face.  There is some pitting.  Is this within acceptable limits or is it the end of the head?

How clean does the gasket face need to be?  Here are some more shots.

rybes

id be happy with how clean that was to put back on. just make sure its as smooth as possible. as for the valves, if you have em out clean em up on a bench mounted wire brush thatll be fine. ive done pistons like the too but yoy need to be careful so as not to mark the side and corners of the piston. light touches against the wheel till its clean. then give everythin a real good wash in degreaser and blow it all off with an air gun
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

ram33

if you can get the location dowels out, it would be better to get it on a flat surface and rub it around on some wet&dry or carborundum paste. the pitting should be ok as its not on the liner seal edges - maybe caused by weak  antifreeze mixture or wrong type.
i would def take the valves out and clean the up properly and give them a quick regrind on the seats
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

97tiger885

Thanks for the advice.

I bought a valve removal tool.  I need to pick up a dental pick and magnet.  I plan to remove and clean the valves.

Then it is on to the pistons.

97tiger885

The valves have been removed, cleaned and reinstalled.  I did not replace the seals or regrind the seats.

Should I degrease the head before reinstalling?  Cleaning would consist of dunking in soapy water and hosing clean.  The valves would be in place for this.

Time to move onto the pistons.

ram33

why didnt you regrind the seats? it would only take a couple of hours for peace of mind
degrease would depend how dirty it is but make sure the gasket faces are degreased - i used acetone
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

97tiger885

Quote from: ram33 on July 09, 2014, 08:43:08 PM
why didnt you regrind the seats? it would only take a couple of hours for peace of mind
degrease would depend how dirty it is but make sure the gasket faces are degreased - i used acetone

I have zero experience with that.

Watched a video on lapping valve seats using paste, valve and hand powered lap tool.  Will do that prior to reassembly.

97tiger885

How do I get the cylinder liners out? 

Can I tap them with a hammer and wooden block?

Sin_Tiger

If you try turning the engine the liners should lift with the drag on the piston rings, that'll give you enough edge at the top of the liner to get a grip on it and pull it the rest of the way. Do it in one direction only, slowly and pay particular attention to the loose piston/s catching once you have one or more liners out.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

London_Phil

And remember to mark their locations. No good comes of mixing pistons and liners, and If I am correct, the middle liner is different physically, so that MUST go back in its original location.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: London_Phil on July 10, 2014, 11:42:53 AM
And remember to mark their locations. No good comes of mixing pistons and liners, and If I am correct, the middle liner is different physically, so that MUST go back in its original location.

:iagree
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint