News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Head off help

Started by 97tiger885, June 12, 2014, 10:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ram33

stick with sucker on end is fine for lapping. i cut the stick down and mounted it in cordless screwdriver to make it easier/quicker.
i couldnt shift any of my liners so had to make a tool to do it (a bit like this)
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,12057.msg89156.html#msg89156.
all my liners looked the same (as far as i remember) make sure you mark which is front as well as position.
hope you kept the valves in correct order as well
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

97tiger885

Quote from: ram33 on July 10, 2014, 04:02:07 PM
stick with sucker on end is fine for lapping. i cut the stick down and mounted it in cordless screwdriver to make it easier/quicker.
i couldnt shift any of my liners so had to make a tool to do it (a bit like this)
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,12057.msg89156.html#msg89156.
all my liners looked the same (as far as i remember) make sure you mark which is front as well as position.
hope you kept the valves in correct order as well

I going to do it by hand the first time.  Slower and more frustrating, but more likely not to end in disaster.

I see the basic idea of the puller but have a few questions.  Is there an order to pulling the liners?  The downward force is through the side blocks to the surface where the liners rest?

I pulled a valve, cleaned it and put it back to avoid mix up.  That takes a lot of time, but avoids disaster.  Plan to lap the same way.

Thanks for info.

Off to find a 3 inch test plug.

ram33

the downward force is onto the gasket face of the block.
doesn't matter which liners you do but make sure to catch the piston so it doesn't knock against the crankcase.
i found the hardest job was removing and replacing the circlips for the gudgeon pins
cordless screwdriver (not drill) is quite slow and if you go to fast the sucker comes off anyway
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

97tiger885

My first attempt at removing the liners with my homemade puller failed.  Exerting pressure pulled the plug out of the liner rather than the liner out of the case

Here is my puller:

Here is an example of a successful puller:

Do I need to buy a ribless plug or do I need to grind off the ribs on mine?

97tiger885

I ordered an Oatey 33422 test plug for 4$.  I hope to have better luck with that.  No ribs.

ram33

i dont think your getting enough friction with the ribs and lip
here is a pic of mine. i also tapped around the liner with a nylon mallet at the same time as pulling as mine were very stuck.
also clean the liner inside with acetone or similar to remove any oil and improve friction
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

97tiger885

The 33422 should do better.

97tiger885

Finally progress on removing the cylinders.  I have managed to remove one cylinder.  The method I used involved PB Blaster, wooden shims, two wide bladed screwdrivers and a home-made puller.  First, I filled the area around the cylinder three with PB Blaster. Second, I used the screwdrivers as pry bars on opposite sides  of the liner, one front and one back.   The shims are used to protect the aluminum from damage by the prying.  I eventually got the liner to rock back and forth just a bit.  I kept working it back and forth a few hundrd times until it broke loose.  At this point the liner was about 1/4 inch above the center liner.  Finally, I used the puller to separate the liner from the piston.

Two more to go..

Sin_Tiger

Patience :notworthy

I'd have broken something by now  :augie
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ram33

which one have you removed?if the middle one then you can put a jubilee clip around the next cylinder to give you better leverage to pry up with
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

97tiger885

Unfortunately,  it is the brake side liner.  Neither of the other two are moving at all with the prying method. 

I am trying to be as patient and gentle as possible.  Every day I will pry for a few minutes several times a day until I get the liner rocking.

I did mark the top front of the case on the brake side a bit.   I plan to be more careful on the other two.

ram33

can you see why the one you got off is excessively tight? rust or maybe someone has used the wrong type of sealant in the past?
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

97tiger885

Quote from: ram33 on September 10, 2014, 09:30:04 PM
can you see why the one you got off is excessively tight? rust or maybe someone has used the wrong type of sealant in the past?

Good question.  I don't know.  Need to think about that.

Meanwhile, my expensive education continues.

motoOzarks

Could you use dry ice to shrink the liners a bit?
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

97tiger885

Quote from: motoOzarks on September 11, 2014, 11:40:06 PM
Could you use dry ice to shrink the liners a bit?

That was going to be my next method if the screwdrivers failed.  Clutch side liner is out.   Middle liner is next.