News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Where's the leak.......

Started by HeavyHustler, June 22, 2014, 01:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyHustler

So I'm at the point of finding the mystery leak from the chain cover.  Seems there is more to it than one might think!?!  LOL!  Loads of shit in there, not sure if it's partially an overload of chain wax and oil???  Anyways I decided to order new seals for both the shifter and the clutch push rod......yeah?  And since the front sprocket and chain look exhausted I figure I'll do those as well. 
I sure did find a fixer upper!  LOL!
Plus the fact that once again Triumph has made something more impossible to work than necessary...... :BangHead

Side note I added the RAM ball mount for the handle bars.  Easy addition for my SPOT!

rybes

just a thought, how often do you lube ya chain and how much crap did  ya clean out ? couldve been excess chain lube drippin ?
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Sin_Tiger

OT - I'm interested in the SPOT for a planned long solo ride, would you mind doing a short write up on your experiences with it in the Farkles section  :notworthy
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

HeavyHustler

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 22, 2014, 11:30:48 AM
OT - I'm interested in the SPOT for a planned long solo ride, would you mind doing a short write up on your experiences with it in the Farkles section  :notworthy

I used it on my S3 when I went to AK last summer.  Worked treat!  :wheel

As per chain lube, I use very little and only when needed.  I believe this build up was from the PO's.......

Either way I'll get it all cleaned up, check the chain rubbing guides and move on.

HeavyHustler

Well I got the chain and sprocket off.  Decided to clean up the chain rub strips.  The lower one you'll noticed is toast!  Ordered a new one.  The other around the swing arm is ok.  I tried to pry it out but only got half way until I gave up.........cleaned the swing arm up and jammed it back on.   :icon_rolleyes:

Nothing comes easy w/ these beasts does it?! :Topes

Solon

Did you change the oil seal behind the sprocket as well?
I found great difficulty in removing it, nothing would fit around the edges to pull it out, the only solution I found was to hammer a nail through it and then stick another nail bent like a hook  through the hole to pull it out.
Worked fine, but I managed to pinch the seal of the bearing behind  :BangHead - didn't realize it was so close. I put some silicone on the hole to keep the grease in, hope it works, but it was definitely a bad idea to hammer that nail.

I was wondering if there's a "safer" solution to remove that seal (to know it for the future, at least !)

HeavyHustler

ATM not touching it sounds the safest!  LOL!

Solon

Thanks, that was really helpful...

Mustang

Quote from: Solon on June 26, 2014, 06:31:42 AM
if you didn't like his answer , you'll like mine even less.......... :ImaPoser

"if it aint broke don't fuck with it"

real answer is ...................you are supposed to split the cases to change that oil seal

HeavyHustler

Quote from: Mustang on June 26, 2014, 02:57:44 PM
Quote from: Solon on June 26, 2014, 06:31:42 AM
if you didn't like his answer , you'll like mine even less.......... :ImaPoser

real answer is ...................you are supposed to split the cases to change that oil seal

Well I definitely won't doing that! ^  By the looks of the pic I was thinking that the clutch push rod seal might be the culprit....

ned37

rather than a nail, a sheet metal screw works better
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

Mustang

Solon

[/quote]if you didn't like his answer , you'll like mine even less.......... :ImaPoser

[/quote]
Well, it was broke, so I had to fuck with it.
I doubt you have to split cases to change the oil seal, maybe you misunderstood me, I know you're never wrong :) . Especially that the service manual says you can do it when you change the sprocket. Just doesn't say how ...  The sheet metal screw sounds like a better idea, a little late for me now.

So no one changed that sleeve altogether with the seal? Seems like a real dog to pull out :( , and the service manual simply says to change when corroded, altogether with the sprocket and seal, with no other hint.

Mustang

I'm done ......................

HeavyHustler

Thread jackers.....

Man I hate waiting for parts........