News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain adjustment; a reminder

Started by nickjtc, June 26, 2014, 07:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

I know that this has been said before, but just a reminder.

If your bike has a centrestand, DO NOT adjust the chain to the recommended tension while the bike is on it. It WILL be too tight when the bike is off the stand!

At the end of a 1000+km day I did this silly thing, and was congratulating myself (and Triumph) at how easy and quick it was to do it. A two minute job. But being a bit knackered I did not think to re-check the slack afterwards with the bike off the stand.

400km later, hearing all kinds of moaning and groaning sounds from down below I realised my error. Then adjusted it correctly.

When I decompress from the road trip I will be taking the front sprocket cover off to see what havoc has been wreaked.  :augie :augie
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

nickjtc

And this is what said front sprocket looks like after been so abused. Can you spell 'hooked'?  :icon_rolleyes: The rear one, on the other hand, is in remarkably good shape.

However I will replace them all as a set, as I always do. Just got to get that stubborn last rear sprocket nut undone.

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on July 01, 2014, 11:30:37 PM
Rear wheel not aligned?

Assuming that the Triumph alignment marks are accurate I have been quite religious about making sure everything lined up.