News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Questions from a Canadian rookie

Started by Pjammer, July 12, 2014, 04:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pjammer

Hello all. I'm a relatively new tiger rider, having just been "allowed" to buy a bike again last year. I picked up a good shape 05 955 with 25000 miles on it. Not sure who imported the American bike to Canada, but I have been really enjoying it.

First, I want to thank all the folks on here who are so full of knowledge about these beauties. I have been lurking around for a year now, stealing info, and it has proved a big help. Being a bigger guy, I put mustangs lower pegs on, and fitted a Palmer screen this past winter. The plans for a skid plate were brought to my nephew at a welding shop, and I am very happy with the way that turned out. I have also done the Sasquatch mod recently, and am thinking of learning a bit more about tuning,and then buying a cable.

My first question is this. I have a decent sized foot, and find that the guard that is attached to the right side footpeg, that prevents your boot from touching the pipe, is a bit of a pain. It forces out on the backside of my foot, and makes me feel a bit pigeon toed. I'm wondering if there is any modifying of this piece or aftermarket bit that can be bought to fix the problem.

I am also wondering if I could do a speedo changeover to km's so I'm not always doing math in my head. You know, distracted driving and all :augie

Thanks all for your time and input

Tiger04

As far as the speedo goes I have an 04 and it has both MPH and KM/H . The bold numbers are MPH and there is a light version that's the KM/h below.
Henry
13 Tiger in Beautiful Sapphire Blue
"Tigers aren't for wimps"

Pjammer

Ya, I have the same speedo. It would mostly be for the odometer and the trip meter conversions. Not a terribly important thing, and prob not one I would pursue too hard. just wondering. I'd rather spend $ on suspension next, But the budget is gone for this year I think

Sin_Tiger

I got a set off printed scales to sort out my Thruxton speedo, I still have a few left can be stuck on the outside of the glass if you don't want to dismantle the unit.

Let me have a rummage I the garage, failing which you can buy a new set from eBay.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rex007can

Looked on ebay for mine, couldn't find any.
If you got more than one... I'd be interested too.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Chris Canning

Just looked on ebay there's loads of e'm.

Of course that's ebay.de and you need to put Triumph Tiger 955i tacho  :icon_wink:

Pjammer

Thanks for the info fellas. I'll look into the ebay deal. Any ideas on the foot peg exhaust mod?

Sin_Tiger

This is the conversion sticker set I used mate , being anal and wanting to make sure I didn't fall foul of the VOSA test I opened up the speedo and stuck one on the dial but I think it would work just as well stuck on the glass.

Pity I'm not so anal about storing stuff after the job's finished or I would be able to find the unused ones  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Pjammer

And I thought of 1 more for you. I have the oem top and pannier, but am looking into something more waterproof for the topbox. I've been trying to search out how fellas are mounting pelican cases, but haven't found any threads containing info. Anybody done something like that? And if so, what size box are you using? I was thinking the 1550

Stitch

Recently shopping for new cases myself and came across "Caribou Motorcycle Luggage" which seem to fit various mounts for pelican cases.

http://cariboucases.com/
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

Pjammer

Hey fellas. Wonder if any of you have ideas about mounting a pelican top case? Do I need to get am aluminium plate fabbed up, or just bolt it to the back rack somehow?

John Stenhouse

Either, it's your choice, I would just bolt it to the rack unless you wanted a quick release of some sort.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Sin_Tiger

Whether you use a mount or direct fitting, use as big a load spreading plate with rubber under it as you can inside your box. Don't underestimate the power of vibration at the end of the sub frame.

Pjammer

Ahh. Vibrations. I didn't think of that. Good heads up. Thanks.

And now another question- I know, right? Whens this guy gonna be done?

What are you guys finding to be the best way to mount aux lights?
I've seen them on the upper fairing and thought of those vibrations you mentioned Sin. Wonder if that might be a bit hard on the plastic? Also seen them down low, by the reflectors on the forks. Not sure I'm too keen on that either.
Anyway, I once again bow to Your collective knowledge, and would love to see some pics of your set-ups

Thanks folks

Reuben

Bixxer Bob

Invest in a set of crash bars, then you'll have plenty of options.  I welded lamp brackets onto my Touratech bars recently before having them powder coated.  The original painted finish had failed after 6 yrs all weather use - mainly stone chips down the fronts.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...