News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine swap

Started by TigerT, July 24, 2014, 02:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerT

It looks like I have an engine issue with my 03 that may need a new head gasket. It also has always used a lot of oil, which is not too much of a problem when running locally but a pain in the arse when touring.
I have been offered a 20,000 mile fully serviced 02 Sprint engine from a machine with front fork damage. It would probably easier and cheaper to simply swap over.
Is this likely to fit and would there be any issues with this?
Cheers
Nick
2003 Girly
1999 DR350

Chris Canning

There have been a couple of bikes knocking about in the Uk that have sprint(RS) motors the problem being did they have the sprint electrics to go with it??? I don't know,I keeped this as reference when I saw it on ebay but can't help anymore apart from it can be done.

NortonCharlie

Unless you swap the shifter drum I believe the shift patter will reverse to 1 up 5 down, Sprint uses a linkage.   I bought an 02 Sprint RS with 2000 miles that was crashed.  Turned out to be a good one so I fixed and ride it today.  I was thinking If it turned out to be to badly damaged I could use the motor for a spare on the Tiger.  I am guessing the mounting is the same but the head looks way different on the Sprint.  I knew I would need to check more before swapping.  The power comes on different and it has more but I do not think I would like it as well putting down the double tracks.  The Tiger motor is just so tractable.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando