News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Blathering about exhausts, taken from The Tiger(s) and the Stag

Started by nickjtc, July 30, 2014, 03:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on July 29, 2014, 01:21:20 AM
Bike averaged around 57mpg up to the meet,

I never cease to be amazed at the fuel consumption figures that can be achieved with these bikes. Stock everything (I assume)?

I shake my head when I hear of owners altering what the factory produced in order to produce more 'oomph', or usually just more noise, all in the name of making the bike 'better'.

Alas Stanley has suffered in such a way at the hands of the po. As soon as I have the wherewithal he will be returned to 'as from the factory'.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

threepot

I've got a set off another model?.2 feeds in,just blocked one off. STD mains (105) and 42.5 pilots. k&n and 1 intake capped. But my bike runs OK with snorkels UN-blanked off my Daytona. I checked mpg on our Fri run up to John o Groats,and I'm sure I calculated it around 60! I even managed 53 on a recent trip with a 17t sprocket,prior to changing to STD.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on July 30, 2014, 06:16:40 PM
I've got a set off another model?.2 feeds in,just blocked one off. STD mains (105) and 42.5 pilots. k&n and 1 intake capped.

Stock exhaust?

threepot

Quote from: nickjtc on July 30, 2014, 07:34:13 PM
Quote from: threepot on July 30, 2014, 06:16:40 PM
I've got a set off another model?.2 feeds in,just blocked one off. STD mains (105) and 42.5 pilots. k&n and 1 intake capped.

Stock exhaust?
Yes
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Tell me about it Nick... I've been farting around changing things back to standard since I bought mine, some of the things someone has done are unbelievable! - 17t front with 42t rear sprockets, drilling holes all over the aux air boxes, handlebars which were far too wide, very nice looking homemade cans but straight through and no re-jetting! admittedly a really nice looking bike but its cost me more than I expected just to get it running properly, it's a pity they didn't do something useful like add a center stand, tubeless rims or aux lighting or luggage, but at least its going nice now - I've replaced the cans and balanced the carbs and just come back from the best ever 35 mile run through my favourite evening route (pen-y-pass near Llanberis).  It was all worth it in the end, but it would be better if people didn't twat about with bikes in this way as most of the time like you say, they're not really making things 'better' at all, no wonder the last owner sold it - compared to what its like now - it was a horrible ride! Maybe the Germans have the right idea with the type approval laws, where you can't change much without a letter from god (if it's still like that there).  :icon_biggrin:

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on July 30, 2014, 11:35:23 PM
Maybe the Germans have the right idea with the type approval laws, where you can't change much without a letter from god (if it's still like that there).  :icon_biggrin:

I agree. Over here it's usually the cruiser crowd who ditch the stock exhausts on their new bikes... because "loud pipes save lives", don't you know.  Which is why I was surprised when the po of my Tiger said that he he done a baffle-ectomy on the stock exhausts. And in doing so had to re-jet the carbs, resulting in s#!tty fuel mileage.

JayDub

I thought that Canada, as well as some US states had very strict emission laws which made home tinkering illegal?

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on July 31, 2014, 02:10:04 PM
I thought that Canada, as well as some US states had very strict emission laws which made home tinkering illegal?

Yes, the manufacturers are bound by the same kind of emissions and safety bureaucracy as over there, especially in California. However, when a dealer (especially HD) actively encourages a customer to drop extra dosh on their new bike to make it 'better', and these changes make the machine no longer conform to said regulations it makes a mockery of the whole system.

Especially since there are no repercussions in making the changes. Occasionally we hear of someone being pulled over for obnoxiously loud pipes but I have never heard of anyone being challenged hereabouts because they have changed the bike so that it is in effect no longer DOT-approved.

threepot

Come on guys..bikes do sound better with aftermarket silencers fitted,especially Triumphs! And in most cases,look better too. The issue must be ..how loud? I havn't got a problem with a 'little' bit louder,but do with 'race' silencers which some are definitely 'anti-social'. I have recently removed the inner caps from my bike. Surprising the difference it has made to the original,almost 'trapped'triple sound,without any noticeable change in performance. Looks better too.

These posts need to be moved to 'speaking of bike's? We are digressing a little from the Scotland trip.
95 Super111
96 Tiger