News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

you never can tell

Started by Bixxer Bob, August 06, 2014, 09:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

I bumped into a lady today (not literally...) in her late forties, dressed in a wax Belstaff jacket - quite oily and had obviously seen years of use - well worn leather trousers and a canvas courier shoulder bag  also oily and well worn.  I was intrigued so found an excuse to ask her what she was riding.  A 1977 Royal Enfield she said.  A quick mental run through made me realise it would have no electric start- respect to the lady I thought.  She asked if I was interested so went with her to see her bike.  Like her, it was oily, a bit grubby and had obviously seen better days.  There were a set of old, functional panniers fitted and a top box I'd not see since I was at school,  the old fiberglass cube whose make I can't remember.  Anyway, she put on her helmet, kicked it over like a pro (lets face it she'd probably been doing that since she was old enough to ride) and rode off into the afternoon.

A surreal experience but a pleasant one.  She wasn't a "biker" she was a true motorcyclist, someone for whom her motorcycle was her normal and chosen mode of transport, something you don't see very often.  Not for her the thrill of riding fast, or being flash, but someone for whom the idea of getting into a car would simply be absurd.  It would have been nice to find out more about her and how she came to be riding her Enfield.  I'll have to keep my eyes open.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JayDub

nigeh

Fantastic

We had four people stay, three of them on late 1970's Guzzi's. A V50, V50 Monza and an 850 LeMans. Lady on on the V50 Monza was in her late 50's, with oily leather trousers that she wiped the oil dip stick on each morning when she checked the oil and old wax cotton jacket!!  Between her and her husband they had around 11 motorcycles, 7 of which were hers!!! 

As you say a 'True' motorcyclist and she did all the maintenance on her bikes too!

A rare breed these days!
who needs four cylinders??

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Sin_Tiger

On my sheep dog trip South to W Brom on the Thruxton with my Singapore friend on her XR125 (seriously loaded), we stopped at Westmoorland services for a break and shelter from a very heavy downpour.

A lady in her late fifties came up to us and enquired what was going on, must admit it would be an odd combination to see at the best of times. Lees Na told her the story of her Mongolia trip. She started smiling widely and said how much she missed it encouraged her to ride as much and as often as she could while she was able to and not buy a cruiser  :icon_scratch:

Says she "I used to do 6 or 7 rallies every year in the UK and EU until the f'ing Virago did for my back and the doctor told me I couldn't ride anymore"

:notworthy
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 10, 2014, 05:55:14 PM
Says she "I used to do 6 or 7 rallies every year in the UK and EU until the f'ing Virago did for my back and the doctor told me I couldn't ride anymore" :notworthy

Try telling the cruiser types hereabouts that there are better riding positions on other types of machines and they look at you as if you've got two heads...
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

blacktiger

Quote from: nickjtc on August 10, 2014, 10:33:42 PM
Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 10, 2014, 05:55:14 PM
Says she "I used to do 6 or 7 rallies every year in the UK and EU until the f'ing Virago did for my back and the doctor told me I couldn't ride anymore" :notworthy

Try telling the cruiser types hereabouts that there are better riding positions on other types of machines and they look at you as if you've got two heads...

After much beer it feels like I have.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Sin_Tiger

I had to go back and check your trip photos just to confirm that was not the case  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 14, 2014, 12:21:02 AM
I had to go back and check your trip photos just to confirm that was not the case  :icon_wink:

Har har, har de har. You're so sharp, watch you don't cut yourself  :ImaPoser
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

I still have the scars from a few occasions  :icon_wink:  dangerous sense of humour.