News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork swap.

Started by threepot, August 13, 2014, 06:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

Seen some bikes with this done,using Trophy forks,which share the same internals? But I have a spare set off a 95 Daytona. The lowers look the same as Trophy? Is it possible to fit the Daytona internals into the steamers stanchions?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

rf9rider

Got your message, so replying here .

You need to use the Steamer internals, the Daytona internals will be too short because you are using the Steamer stanchions which are about 4 inches longer than the Daytona`s.

You need to check if the bottom allen bolts are the same size on the Tiger bottoms compared to the Daytona`s.

If they are a different size, the internals will be different, meaning you can`t swap them.

threepot

So if the bolts are different,I will have to source a pair of Trophy lowers? They look very similar to the Daytona. Been looking at the job you did,very nice! And I remember mustang stating that the tigers forks are narrower? so I will have to change yokes,or carryout mustangs mod?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

rf9rider

Quote from: threepot on August 14, 2014, 07:47:39 PM
So if the bolts are different,I will have to source a pair of Trophy lowers? They look very similar to the Daytona. Been looking at the job you did,very nice! And I remember mustang stating that the tigers forks are narrower? so I will have to change yokes,or carryout mustangs mod?

Yup, bottom bolts need to be the same size as you are fitting the other dampers into the Tiger bottoms.

You`ll need different yokes, plus you`ll need brake calipers to match as the Steamers won`t fit.

Or if you have a lathe and milling machine, you can do it Mustangs way.

Sin_Tiger

I have to ask mate, what are you actually trying to achieve, I feel I'm being thick and have missed the sub plot  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 15, 2014, 03:16:50 PM
I have to ask mate, what are you actually trying to achieve, I feel I'm being thick and have missed the sub plot  :icon_scratch:
:iagree  :ear

rf9rider

Looking back at the original question, now i`m not so sure!  :icon_lol:

Thought  threepot was asking about the fork swap so  he could use the 3 spoke wheels, now i`m thinking he just wants to swap fork internals?

Let us know mate.

threepot

Just want to fit 3 spoke wheels to my steamer. I fitted the Daytona wheel off my s3 to the rear,just to try it out,no problem. looks better,and easier to change tyres and repair punctures etc. Just want the same for ffront.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Nick Calne

Is it not easier to just buy the front end off a Girly - forks, brakes, wheel, speedo etc and just plug it in.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

threepot

That is an option Nick,but I'll probably do what rf9r suggested.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

rf9rider

Quote from: nickcalne on August 16, 2014, 09:06:27 AM
Is it not easier to just buy the front end off a Girly - forks, brakes, wheel, speedo etc and just plug it in.

If i remember rightly, the Girly forks are shorter than the Steamer, and steering stem is a different size.

Also, the Girly speedo has an electronic pick up where as the Steamer is mechanical.

Mustang

there is no "easy way" :augie