News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cam Chain Tensioner.......

Started by nickjtc, August 29, 2014, 07:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Should it be condered a consumable? Should it be replaced at a certain mileage "just because" (like we do the timing belts in our cars) or left until ominous noises are heard from within the engine?

Discuss....
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

London_Phil

JayDub

Quote from: London_Phil on August 29, 2014, 08:32:01 PM
This may give you some food for thought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290798758594
If it ain't broke  :iagree but its worth measuring the spring length next time the spanners are out  :icon_wink: Off topic I know but,  London_Phil... What exactly is your profile picture of?

nickjtc

Quote from: London_Phil on August 29, 2014, 08:32:01 PM
This may give you some food for thought.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290798758594

Indeed. But isn't it the wear to the innards that will cause mayhem if they disintegrate?

London_Phil

Off topic reply to Jaydub, can you see it now ?????

Sin_Tiger

OT "can you tell what it is yet? " also not PC   :mut
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

OK people, focus here. What's to do about cam chain tensioners? Stanley has 84k under his wheels. Rustles like a calm breeze in the Autumn. BUT, should I consider doing pro-active stuff at this point, vis-à-vis the cam chain............? Mustang, feel free to chime in at any time.

nickjtc

And ain't it sad the way fuel petcock orifices get in the way of sensible discussion..........

London_Phil

I'm assuming chain would fail eventually, but I would expect that if left too long, the guides will wear, and the damage will be done by the chain jumping teeth??
Has anyone here actually had engine failure as a direct result of cam chain?

threepot

No harm in checking things out. Ive just done the shims on my Daytona. I replaced the chain,tensioner, side and upper guides. I'd bought the parts a while ago.  The tensioner looked in good order. The chain had stretched at least 5mm,hence timing arrows were out. But I noticed a crack in the upper guide! This may not of materialised into anything serious..but?  I would definitely recommend at least checking out the condition of the relative parts.      Nick,don't forget to support the tensioner blade if you take out the tensioner.             
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Quote from: nickjtc on August 30, 2014, 05:41:19 AM
And ain't it sad the way fuel petcock orifices get in the way of sensible discussion..........
:icon_redface: sorry - had to ask, (got yer
phil) :icon_wink:

HeavyHustler

I don't usually plan on replacing my CCT, but when I do it means I broke it.  ;)

nickjtc

So, I am getting a sense from you guys that no-one has had a catastrophic failure with the cct, but if lost for something to do (in the long winter months hereabouts, perhaps??), it's worth whipping the top end off for an investigative look-see...??

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on August 30, 2014, 10:18:55 AM
Nick,don't forget to support the tensioner blade if you take out the tensioner.             

Noted. Thanks.