News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Intial Poor running in Damp conditions

Started by tiger900, April 04, 2005, 02:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiger900

I have a '98 tiger (855 not i) which has been great until this winter. Now if it has been raining or has been damp, it runs but sounds like its either damp on the inside or is starved of fuel or air or something. It kind of goes like.....

start it up..... idles normally for a few seconds then,

sounds starved or choked for a few seconds then,

idles normally for a few seconds....

this goes on for about ten mins until it has warmed up then runs perfectly until i park it up for any length of time (in wet or damp weather)!

In dry weather I have no probs at all.

Anyone got any ideas? Its doing my head in cos by the time ive got it to a garage, the bike has warmed up, the problem vanishes and the geezer in the garage thinks Im an idiot!

Help!!!

BRanstead

Im no Tiger expert, but ive had cars with Carbs.  If the engine runs fine in dry weather, and runs fine after the engine warms up, its probably nothing.  So 2 things that i know of are:

-the cpu is controlling the leaness/richness of the mixture for the drier weather its used to and is sucking in too much cold&wet air, which i think is called "generalization".  Once warmed up, the h20 in the air around the engine is "burnt" away.

-no cpu controling the carb and mixture.  The engine just has to warm up so that the incoming wet air is dried.  On my old mazda, the intake had little butterfly valves that'd close when the air was to dense (cold and wet) limiting intake, and would then open up when the engine warmed up.

EDIT: if your from bristol, CT or any other new england bristol, itll stop after spring......hurray for NE weather :roll:

tiger900

Im definately no engine expert but that makes sense... I will pass that one to the guy in the garage, maybe he will understand and be able to correct the problem, its a pain in the arse when Im trying to get to work in the mornings.

Im in Bristol, UK and yep roll on summer!

BRanstead

^ Then the our weather is the same  :D