News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cracked Brake Disc

Started by Geoff W, June 18, 2015, 07:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff W

One of my front brake discs has cracked. To be fair they are looking rather thin, and I suspect less than minimum thickness. They have done 71.5 thousand miles. :^_^
I have a new pair on the way. Replacement looks straightforward according to the Haynes manual. However they do not say to use threadlock on the disc bolts, some people I have spoken to say it is essential, do any of the wise engineering heads on here have an opinion? I would trust advice from here above most other places.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Sin_Tiger

I usually us Blue (medium strength) but I have fitted discs without it when I have run out, I'm still here  :icon_wink: (not in Hull)
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

NeilD

the original triumph bolts come with threadlock already applied...  apply heat before trying to undo them, use a tight fitting allen socket preferably a short one to avoid the tendancy to twist as you apply force with longer ones.. did i say apply heat ?  :) 

London_Phil

New ones come with blue loctite on them. When I replaced my front rim, I had to heat the bolts with a heat gun before loosening them, as I ruined the Head trying to remove them cold.

threepot

Quote from: JayDub on June 18, 2015, 09:11:19 PM
That would only stop it from seizing TP
I know..do you fink I'm fick or what? :icon_wink:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Quote from: threepot on June 18, 2015, 11:59:33 PM
I know..do you fink I'm fick or what? :icon_wink:
Wot u meanin den?  :icon_scratch: