News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fairing screws

Started by ssevy, October 28, 2014, 07:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

Since letting the fuel tank dry out, my fairing screws no longer have any side tension on them, and several of mine are now vibrating loose. I lost one sometime last night. Has anyone found a direct replacement from McMaster Carr or some other source? If I recall, Triumph no longer has them.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Mustang

the actual real screw is only available from , yes you guessed it !

the same place that has them as no longer available ...............................Triumph

although bike bandit still has a listing for them so ................ I would try ordering .

SCREW, LGE SKT HD,M6X20 BL SS
M6 X 17MM
   1397799       $7.82

cheap they are NOT !

London_Phil

You could try this, works for me.

6 x 25 SS setscrew,
6mm SS shouldered nut
SS washer 6.5 bore 18mm od

rf9rider

I know you`re looking for original, but if you have no luck, i use similar to these, countersunk bolts, cup washer and a rubber washer underneath to protect the paint and stops them coming loose.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xm6+x+20&_nkw=m6x20&_sacat=0

Heres how mine looks

motoOzarks

slick lookin paint on that one rf9

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Sin_Tiger

Are you using the rubber washers? There are several different shoulder lengths on the various panels, I've mixed them up on occasion myself, worth a check
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rf9rider

nucleardon

I find that rubber grommets smash nicely which seems to give the screw a tight fit, reducing the back out, while not cranking on the screw to the detriment of the insert on the tank.
1996 Trophy 900 Green
1997 Tiger Red(ish)

TR5TRIDER

I have been using black neoprene/rubber washers available from plumbing supplier and used under flat metal washer & wing nut combo to hold water closet down onto the wax ring. These rubber washers are quite thick (approx. 1/8"} and when compressed beneath the fairing screws they compress and exert tension on the screws holding them in place and keeping the screws from backing out.

Sin_Tiger

I'm guessing from that you mean you're punching your own out of that material. I'd considered that as buying one by one from Triumph is not cheap.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

Good News!

The fairing screws are still available from Triumph, as are the rubber washers. The little screws for the headlight/windscreen piece are also available.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Danwarb

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy some replacement fairing rubber washers but can see that an M6 is too small and that an M8 is too large.
Do any of you have a link to somewhere maybe on eBay that might sell what we're looking for?

Cheers,

Dan
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

Sin_Tiger

These are slightly thinner than the OEM ones but I found they were fine as far as fit goes, don't squidge as much and at this price I can live with changing them every year when they crack up and split like the Triumph items at almost x 10 the price.

Danwarb

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 14, 2015, 04:13:49 PM
These are slightly thinner than the OEM ones but I found they were fine as far as fit goes, don't squidge as much and at this price I can live with changing them every year when they crack up and split like the Triumph items at almost x 10 the price.

Ah thanks Sin !  :thumbsup

Is it the M8 size I'm after?

Cheers,

Dan
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

JayDub

I used 4mm thick, 15mm x 6mm rubber washers as they are a tight fit on the thread, which helps stop the screws un-screwing, I also put a smear of (dare I say it) Vaseline on the back as they can stick to the paint and peel it off.